GUN Traveling a long distance in a rental truck. Can I carry a firearm with me?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by attomica, Nov 14, 2005.

1. attomica

attomica Active Member

I'm relocating, from Dallas to Nashville. It's an over 600 mile drive, or about twelve hours. I'm going to be driving a big, yellow rental truck, towing my car on a flatbed carrier and I'll be driving at night. That set-up says "I've got everything I own right here...Come'n get it". I'd feel a lot more comfortable having my gun next to me in the cab in case somone decides to pull some shit.

Do any of you have any knowledge of the laws regarding a situation like this?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know but I would check http://packing.org
    to see laws of state you'll be traveling through (if you have a tx ccw) looks like alot of states you'll be going through do honor tx permit

3. attomica

attomica Active Member

Thanks for that. I'll give that site more time tonite. I don't have a CCW permit yet. I wonder if that'll eliminate my ability to have a gun in the cab with me.

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

TX passed something this year that you can carry in your ride without CHL.. once you leave TX there is no telling

5. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Yep, you're good in TX because you're "traveling," but who knows outside TX.

6. CString

CString New Member

aren't you allowed to "transport" a firearm to your house? it woud make sense if you're going from your house in dallas to your house in nashville then it would be ok. the law might say otherwise though. :noes:

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

laws very by state, of course you can transport your firearms but laws vary on how it must be transported in NY for example gun is suppose to be kept in a case, unloaded and ammo isnt suppose to be stored with it.

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Well, I don't know if its legal but I can tell you that if I felt threatened enough to the point where I'd think I would need a gun (which I wouldn't in that situation, besides the point) that I wouldn't let any law get in the way of me safely carying my gun with me to protect myself and family.

Sounds kinda bad, but damn all these laws are just messing up all our rights to protect ourselves and our property.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if you're from out of state, you cant carry a pistol through NY.. but thats NY, theyre fucked up

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: NY sucks, have to have permit in NY to own a handgun on long island they got several different classes of permit(target, hunting, premise, carry) carry's a pain in the ass to get have to have reason to get issued one. now go upstate NY and they dont have all that shit just carry permits which arent that difficult. BUT if you have any of these there not vaild in NYC. I fucking hate NY I cann't wait to get out of this hell hole.

11. Car54

Car54 Member

In any situation where I feel I want the gun, I'll carry it, state and federal laws dont matter much to me.

Ive jumped thru their hoops enough.. Ive got the permit, ive taken their classes, and if I'm in a place that serves alchohol I'm not gonna put it away (unless I'm drinking of course, different story)..

I carry in DC all the time, the criminals do, and I'd rather serve some time for illegal posession than be dead. I work in a bad neighborhood at a nightclub (during the week).. and I'm approached by 50 homeless guys begging for change every night as I walk to my car.

Do whatever you have to do.. personally ive traveled much further than 600 miles in a single shot stopping for nothing but fuel.. I also know several others who have moved cross country (military).. no problems. They all have nice cars in tow and everything they owned.

12. feetball

feetball New Member

Careful ... some sherrif and police depts. have stated that they will still arrest for a concealed weapon without a permit. So you're kinda guilty until proven innocent.

13. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

14. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

TX carry permit is valid in most of the Southern states, IIRC. We all honor each other's permits.

Check packing.org to be sure though.. I'd say plot your route, and then check the laws about each state you are going to travel through.

15. attomica

attomica Active Member

Thank for all your input, everyone. I asked my brother, who is a gun aficiando of the highest magnitude and a member of packing.org, to check this for me. I only have to be concerned with Texas, Arkansas, and Tennessee for this drive. The gun laws in these three states are pretty relaxed, so I don't think I have anything to worry about. In Tennessee, if you use a gun in defense of your person, you cannot be saddled with a possession charge, even if you're not supposed to have a gun.

After hearing my brother's advice on the matter, I feel quite comfortable carrying my loaded GP100 right next to me in the cab of the truck.