SRS Traumatic experience and EMDR therapy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Genghis.Tron, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I think it might intesrest some of you. I'm doing a assignment on a therapeutic approach and I chose EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing). For those that don't know what it is, it's essentialy a really short term therapy (usually only 3 sessions) in which the therapist makes you talk about the traumatic experience and while you do so, he moves his fingers from right to left to activate different regions of the brain so that you can actually integrate the information that relates to the trauma. In this view, the problems would be caused by the fact that there's a bad integration of the trauma in the memory.

That's a short description but feel free to ask questions and I'll try to dig in !
    That's a treatment that is scientifically proven and suggested for those with post-traumatic stress disorder (I think it was the first therapy scientifically proven to work for this problem) and in general it can help people with anxiety problem and a whole lot of other problems.

2. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

That sounds very interesting. Do you have details about this technique in relation to social anxiety disorders?

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Can you talk more about this and in general how it is perceived to work? Are you "spreading out" the memory into different parts of the brain so that you can use different ways of processing it?

4. pixing

pixing New Member

The way it was explained to me is that certain traumatic events get mis-filed in your brain, if you will, causing lingering upset.

Like you understand what the event was and why it made you upset or angry at the time, but it still upsets you. You can't get past it, even if it seems dumb or you think you should be "over it."

There are multiple ways to do this therapy, with the eyes like described above or with little vibrating things that you hold in each hand and they pulse, other ways. But the bottom line is that you have talk therapy while either side of your brain is being stimulated alternatively and it helps "file" the trauma in a place where you can look at the event more realisticallly, you don't forget it, but you can say that person was really cruel to me or my brother's death makes me very sad without being floored by the thought.

It sounds ridiculous, but I've seen it work - maybe it's a placebo effect, but it seems real and I'm extremely skeptical of this sort of thing.

5. slang4lavatory

slang4lavatory New Member

i actually have tried it... it didnt work for me unfortunately...but ive heard other people to have had great results. i kind of figured maybe it is all the placebo effect, which...i guess technically can mean it "works"

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

It's not a placebo effect btw, it has been proven effective has a psychotherapy (which means that in a randomized controlled trial, it was found to be more effective than a "treatment as usual" which is the placebo in psychotherapy or it was found to be effective as much as any other proven psychotherapy).

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

EMDR has been used with a variety of disorders but there are no scientific evidence that it works with any other problem. Does that mean it's inefficient ? Not at all, just that there's no study YET on other problems.

Many therapists use EMDR with a whole lot of other problem and they see result but the results will vary from person to person. EMDR is mainly efficient for those who have a problem that is related to a traumatic even but it can be used within a greater therapy, to get over a therapy that stopped moving for example.

The best thing with this approach IMO is that you know if it's not working after 2 to 3 sessions in the worse case so it's a good thing o try out without having lost too much money. I even had a friend who saw no improvement and the therapist was so surprised that he gave her some free sessions because it usually worked.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy has been shown effective for social anxiety though.

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Some quotes from an article :