trashing(dumpster raiding)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zero xeal, Aug 27, 2003.

1. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

ive been looking into it and have yet to do it(might happen with in a week if im lucky), but i think it would be cool to hear what some of you guys found during dumpster raids.

for those who dont know what this is this is digging in dumpsters behind stores and companys and some times land fills(they take serious nads if you ask me) and if you lucky you can score some decent stuff and either keep or ebay it.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I have always wanted to and I think a place like a college campus would be a GREAT place to do it. But......I never have.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:dunno: I don't think I'd find much around here, not a huge number of computer companies around, and most of them are pretty efficient at re-using or selling their old stuff. At the company where I work (not a computer company), we use every piece of computer equipment until it dies. I gotta piece together two complete Celeron 333 machines from the undead bits of three partially-dead machines tomorrow :o

4. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

you know college is a great idea especially if its like right when school ends to, just think of the potential...

5. pummer

pummer New Member

i read about something where last year Penn State made over $100,000 off shit people left in dorm rooms...

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Read Kevin Mitnick's book. The technical term is "dumpster diving". Remember, a lot of non-tech folks like to write their password down on sticky notes (and other nifty info tidbits). Sticky notes could be gold...

Companies that actually have secrets or even just mildly sensitive material will take measures to have the material destroyed. As for hardware, there's been a push to have computer hardware recycled (its environmently friendly). Not to say you won't find anything, but I don't think its as easy as it was back in the 80s and 90s.

7. druid

druid What do the 5 fingers say?

8. F®Ëë KÆv‡Ñ
    been there, its fun. try it! you wouldnt believe the shit people throw away.

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

fuck ive done it! worth every bit of time

my buddy got a 4foot blue cold cathod from behind Beam Riders (dunno how much its worth) a few 17" dell monitors, couple 550mhz (back when 700mhz was high end), cabling, hubs, (from our city dumpters) and alcohol... from behind a pub (highwayman pub)

i havent done it in 2 or 3 years...