Trash problem.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dfunk, Oct 2, 2006.

1. dfunk

dfunk New Member

I just got my first Mac two weeks ago and I'm still getting used to it. I installed Windows Media Player, but was told by many people to uninstall it. Last night I grabbed the entire WMP folder and dragged into the Trash bin. I followed the instructions in this Mac for dummies type of book that I have. However, when I tried to empty the Trash, it wouldn't allow me and it said that a number of files are "locked." I tried putting the entire WMP back to the Applications folder and then deleted it again. I then tried to empty the trash again and it still didn't work. Could you please advise me on how to get rid of the files in my Trash.

Also, I can't send files using IM clients. I can't do it through Adium and it won't work through iChat. Last week, however, it worked fine with iChat.

I got 10.4.8 now, but I started experiencing problems with sending files while I still had 10.4.7

Thanks.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

For the WMP i'd just uninstall it using "appzapper" - its a very useful program - you can find that on versiontracker.com

i dunno about the file transfer though :dunno:

3. Kid A

Kid A '06 UK Crew

:sadwavey: I have this problem too sometimes. I normally shut Adium down and restart it and it often cures it, but not always. No idea what the problems is really.

4. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Regarding the locked files... I know that when you look at a file in Finder and do a Get Info (in the file menu or Cmd-I), one of the options is a checkbox for "Locked". You can do this individually or select a bunch of files and Get Info on the whole group.

You probably have to take the items out of the trash before doing that.

Personally, when I get a stubborn file, I don't bother figuring out why it won't delete... I just open up the Terminal and do a "sudo rm -rf whatever". :wiggle:

5. dfunk

dfunk New Member

Yeah I figured it out. Thanks