Transporting Plasma TV's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eof, Oct 29, 2008.

1. eof

eof New Member

So I recently ordered a 46 inch plasma tv (Panasonic 46PZ85U) using my hotel points. I was stuck between getting a LCD or a plasma and through reading reviews and the OT plasma crew I decided on the plasma.

Small problem... didn't realize that transporting the fucking thing was going to be such a nightmare. I have to drive it 230 miles (from Detroit to Toronto)

I am reading that you can't lay the fucking things down and you have to stand it up straight up. A quick search on the net has resulted in a lot of posts saying this kind of things is a bad idea and a ton of posts that say that other people have done it and not had a problem.

Anyone on OT have any experience with this? Should I risk it and lay it down? Is it just AV homos on other boards being shitdicks and pointing out over cautious shit from their manuals?

2. xivera

xivera Active Member

Holy crap bro... 230 miles!? That's like 4-5 hrs! LOL!
    When my bro moved, me and/or my wife drove about 30 miles in an SUV.
    (This was a while ago...)
    We were so concerned and, yes, we transported it upright... just to make sure.
    Moreover, my bro dearly wanted this to be done right.
    He carefully "packaged" his plasma and I put his sofa cushions and other soft stuff around that.
    (He wrapped it in a blanket-comforter thingie.)
    Just be careful... have a nice trip!

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

wow didn't know you weren't supposed to lay these things down :o

when i bought mine I drove it home laying down.. and set up the stand and everything with it laying down. had it for years no problems :dunno:

4. eof

eof New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Blackberry 8703: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/408; U; en))

Yeah from what I have read laying it down is only a problem if you are jaring it (e.g. Laying it down to put a stand on is ok)

I also read that some fucking moron was cruising around with one standing up unsecured on the back of his truck and hit a bump and it fell flat and it was fine. So that makes be question how serious the risk really is.

5. eof

eof New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Blackberry 8703: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/408; U; en))

Yeah it will still be in the box which is a plus for me I think.

My problem is that I currently have a rental ford taurus (one of the new sedan ones)...

I am hoping that I can stand it up between the front row of seats and the back seats. Otherwise I need to either lay it down or trade in my rental...hmm

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

lol...I don't think you'll have luck with that thing standing straight up.

7. eof

eof New Member

Yeah I am not sure...

The box is listed on the pano site @ 34.5" x 51.3" x 13.1"

The interior space as listed on the ford site is..

Head Room: 38.8"
    Shoulder Room: 57.6"
    Hip Room: 53.6"
    Leg Room: 41.2"

I don't really know what that shit means...

I think because the hip room > 51.3" I should be able to fit it length wise...

I think it will fit width wise because there is more than 13.1" between the front seat and back seat.

I think head room is distance between the ass of the seat and roof..so I don't think that plays into my calculations.

I think shoulder room might be floor to roof (not sure)...if that is the case then I should be fine because I only need 34.5" to stand it up.

I think the front seats being reclined might make it so I can't stand it up perfectly straight but that might also mean that I can wedge it in somehow so it isn't moving.

:dunno:

8. eof

eof New Member

I just thought of another way I could do this. Unbox the tv and stand it up in the back seat wrapped in a comforter and then somehow secure it standing up...not sure if there are anchor points in the car for tieing..

Maybe the baby seat anchors would work...hmm

9. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I put mine back in the original box and strapped it down in the bed of my truck. I drove almost 600 miles with it like that and it was perfectly fine.

10. eof

eof New Member

Yeah...worse comes to worse I will be laying mine flat in the trunk with the seats down.

11. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Just keep the plastic on the panel that it comes wrapped in. Keep the panel off the pedestal and wrap the panel in blankets and keep it upright with the glass against the back of the rear seat. Then just package some other stuff between the back of the panel and the rear of the front seats.

The tv definitely won't fit in the box. The problem with laying it down is if you hit a bump or something falls on it, it could smash the glass since there is no padding in front of the glass...just plastic wrap and some styrofoam around the edges.

12. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

set it in the back seat and strap the seat belts on it its only 46 inches diagonal and prolly like 10 inches deep with the box :dunno:

13. eof

eof New Member

It is 34.5" x 51.3" x 13.1"...

The Taurus is surprisingly roomy....I think my original plan of wedging it in between the front and back seats will work.

It is coming on Monday....so I will post an update with pictures...

Hopefully the pictures won't be of a broken plasma...:x:

14. cacique78

cacique78 Member

You will be fine. As long as you don't leave it lying down overnight or for a ridiculous amount of time it will be fine.

Enjoy it man it's a really nice tv.

15. eof

eof New Member

Yeah I didn't take pictures but I ended up wrapping it in a comforter and placing it screen forward in the back seat and tieing it in place with a rope using the baby seat anchors. It didn't move at all and worked perfectly. No damage... not moving into my new apartment for a few weeks though so I have it sitting in a corner right now. Plugged it in long enough to see that there was no damage though...I am pumped to really start using it.

Edit: The shipping company that delivered it to my buddies house had it laying down flat though... :ugh:

16. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

see i said it would fit in the back seat..but shipping companies treat TVs as regular packages they don't get special attention, my buddy works for UPS and he said people drop TVs all the time and stack shit on them too

17. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Is this necessary for all flatscreens?

I remember when I moved back, I put my LCD on the trunk of my car, covering it with bed sheets all around, so it had a soft backing.

LCD still works great. :dunno:

Oh and the trip was 3.5 hours long.

18. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

It shouldn't be a problem with lcd. plasma's are kinda touchy with the way the screen works.

19. eof

eof New Member

There is know way that you would have known that it wasn't going to fit.

The box was 1/2 inch too wide to fit between the seats... :rolleyes:

20. eof

eof New Member

By "the way the screen works" he means because the screen is made of several glass panes and given that thin glass is prone to cracking plasmas are "kinda touchy"