GUN transporting firearms on airplane

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gchang817, May 12, 2009.

1. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

i am taking a training course down south and am flying in from the northeast.

is there a limit to the amount of ammo you can have in your check in baggage? What are some containers you guys use to transport ammo?

What kind of package/case do you use for the firearm? What kind of locks do you use?

thanks for any info.

2. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

You just slide it in your belt and board the plane. :ugh:

4. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I'd much prefer people keep asking over and over!

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

You have to check the above links.

Airlines vary on how much ammo they will let you bring, check the website of whatever airline you are flying to be certain. It's usually about 8lbs, I think.

The safest way to get your guns there if you are flying is to pack them up and Next Day Air them to yourself via UPS.

(Reference the NYPD cop that had his Glock stolen from his checked baggage at Kennedy by a baggage handler)

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Federal Law is 11 lbs, and it must be in factory packaging, or in shell holders for those that reload. Basically not in magazines or loose packed.

8. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Flying with a handgun is an excellent way to make sure your baggage isn't poked through and get a little more privacy. I'm not certain, but I believe federal law forbids any airline personnel from opening checked bags containing firearms.

themoreyouknow.jpg

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Section

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

The above is true. The people at the counter may say you are supposed to have TSA locks on it, but you should print that out and show them. You should use normal locks that no one else has the combo or key for so that no one can access it. If the TSA needs into the case, they will page you and have you come down to open it for them.

11. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

This has been a point of contention with me every time I've flown; as you bolded, the firearms section states that if it is a pistol, only the passenger may have a key to access a case with a firearm, however TSA will cut the lock off if it is not a "TSA-openable" lock. I have spoken with TSA supervisors at several airports and none of them could answer me with any certainty.

I suppose it calls for a letter of clarification from TSA, but in the meantime, I've just quit checking firearms.

Airlines can set their own weight restrictions. I know the last time I flew, US Airways was 8lbs. And they permitted the ammo in magazines, as long as it was not loaded in the weapon. :dunno:

12. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Just get a Glock 7

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

I flew with my Firearms just recently.

Basically, the ammo varies from Airline to airline. I brought 600 rounds with me, so I shipped it to my in laws house. As for firearms, you need a hardsided container that can be locked. I just used some Master locks I bought at WalMart to lock them.

When you go to check in your bags, declare the gun. They will walk you over to the TSA counter, and you will be asked to open and show them your gun. They will check it's ready condition. Then slip a ticket in your bag. You lock it all back up, and they take care of it from there.

The bag you are placing your locked up firearm in should also have a means to be locked. They say "hard sided" but I used a duffle bag that will allow me to put a lock on it and that's all I used and did not get hassled.

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Well of course airlines can set their own maximum restrictions, but I don't believe you can legally carry more than 11 lbs per person. I've heard that some will allow loaded magazines as long as it is in its own seperate locked container. I don't know about the legality of this. The idea behind having the rounds packed in a box is so that in the event of moderate turbulence the rounds don't get to bouncing around and pop each other's primer. Still could happen with the rounds in a mag. If the first top few popped out, they're then loose.

We're dealing with an extremely unlikely scenario, but then again, who thought that ejected cases could set of a primer, but it did.

15. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I've transported loaded AR mags tightly wrapped in saran wrap, but then I've also had airlines balk at pistol mags in the same configuration, so I think to some extent it depends on the guy/girl at the counter. Better to keep the ammo in an original container I think. Or ship separately.