GUN Transporting firearms cross border

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BiG_aL, Dec 24, 2009.

1. BiG_aL

BiG_aL New Member

I'll be travelling/moving across Canada within a few days.. Considering driving through the US as opposed to Canada..
    Wondering if there will be any hassle hopscotching back and forth across the Canadian/US border with firearms (non-restricted).

2. This is outside the normal experience of us on here I'm betting. I think the easiest, and safest thing, to do would be call our border people and ask, then call your people and ask about getting them back into Canada.

3. BiG_aL

BiG_aL New Member

got my answers... looks like a real bitch to do.. even just when transiting from border crossing to border crossing.

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Depends on the weapon. There are a few items that are fine in both, a few that are affected by laws specific to each country, and a few that are prohibited in one or the other.

Canada law:

Pistols must have a minimum barrel length of 105mm, and no mouseguns, .25 or .32 cal. Shotguns must have a barrel length of 14" or greater.(Note that right here you'll have a problem. US law requires 18" minimum barrels for shotguns). IIRC rifles have the same 16" minimum as they do here in the States. Magazine restrictions are placed on the factory, if I understand right, with 5rd long gun and 10rd handgun limits. However aftermarket nonmodified mags are OK.

US law:

No pistol barrel or caliber restrictions. Rifle barrel > 16" , shotgun, > 18" OAL varies by state. Mag capacity, varies by state. External features, varies by state.

So, hopping back and forth across the border means you'll have to ensure that your weapons are compliant with not only Canadian laws, but each individual state in which you are traveling.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I wouldn't do it, for the sake of wasting time unless you have a really good reason to bring firearms with you.

Unless you are moving for good, i have no idea what is involved with that.

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

We've had people fly across the border with hunting rifles and shotguns. They gave them the third degree. Unless it's a permanent move, I wouldn't bother. I think you may actually have to fill some forms out. It may help us answer your question if we knew what you were trying to take over the border.

7. BiG_aL

BiG_aL New Member

browning bps 20 gauge (26 inch barrel?), remington 870 express magnum (28 inch barrel),.270 Tikka lite.

Ammo for all of the above.

I'm moving permanently to another part of Canada. I found some info on the US customs website, it's a nightmare and a half for the hour or two in drive time that it would save me.

8. WoundLicker

WoundLicker Nude Member OT Supporter

with the non-restricted guns you have, it should only be a couple forms to fill out. but you should have done it 3 months ago.

your going to have to get an out of contry PAL. thats about it.