SRS Transitioning from a friend to significant other...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SaviouR, Feb 13, 2007.

1. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

For a few months on end, I have been an "old brother" type to a lady friend of mine; telling her to stay away from certain assholes, being there to comfort her whenever she gets depressed, and talking about the many hobbies that we both enjoy.

Usually, I would of already tried to bring the relationship a step further but there are many things that are going on in her life that I cannot help with and to an extent, she cannot control.

When I got to know her, she was already on heavy medication for Pemphigus Vulgaris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemphigus_vulgaris) and from the heavy medication she has bouts of depression and the seldom mood swing. She was already heavily worn down by visiting her specialized doctors twice per week, taking four or five different medications everyday, getting steroid injections, and occasionally morphine if her lip does start falling apart literally. At times, she does nothing but lay around and do nothing, other times she is cheerful and is talkative, or justs crying randomly.

Not to mention her mother is well off, but not to the point where she can pay all of her medical bills, and is also divorced. I usually comfort her after she has an agrument with her father (which is everytime she does speak to him) but she does not know how much he is helping her mother out anything their children need. From what I gathered, he is paying a good portion of the bills and all of her private school bills unbeknownst to her.

What makes me timid to progress our relationship further is that she is going to a film school in San Francisco within a few months and I am hardly a fan of long distance relationships. If it were not for this, I would of asked her out even knowing about all of her problems.

I have been thinking about cutting my losses and try to repress my emotions, but I know that I have nothing to lose by trying to evolve our relationship further.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

I believe you can lose the friendship when trying to evolve the relationship. That's what tends to happen, and it happened to me once. But if you're willing to risk the friendship go ahead and give it a try. I wouldn't suggest getting your hopes up though, chances are you are or somewhat are in the friend zone. Given her tough situation though, maybe she will consider you as more than a friend because you've been there for her through the tough times.