FRK Transgender Discrimination Okay?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Bubba Atlantis, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Bubba Atlantis

Bubba Atlantis New Member

There is an interesting issue occurring right now in Vancouver and I wanted to get some insightful opinions from people here.

Here is the article:
    http://www.straight.com/article-238663/trans-activist-opposes-pharmacy-ban

Now the question I raise is who is 'right' in this situation.

As a note to people here, please keep to the validity of the decision NOT the validity of transgender.

Personally I see nothing wrong with this (I would love to be proven wrong). Here is my reason. If this pharmacy is tailored towards genetically born women, then you would expect that the people they hire would be well versed in issues specific to female bodied individuals. Now if an individual came in who was male bodied but identified as female, would the pharmacy really be of any help....or the best help? Therefore, I see nothing wrong with this decision on the surface. Now, if they do not provide services to female bodied individuals who identify as male, then I see it as a problem. Then again, I would suspect that these individuals would feel unwelcomed and looked down upon at the pharmacy.

Thoughts people?

2. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Pharmacists know medications. They aren't doctors. If a client has a question about a med, the pharmacist should be able to answer it, regardless if an individual was born a female, or identified as one. It's a nice line, saying they "lack the expertise" to properly provide care for a transgendered individual, but in that case, so does every pharmacy on the planet. It's a bullshit ban. They're no more ill-equipped to answer those questions than "Bill" down at the local walmart.

3. Bubba Atlantis

Agreed. So let's look at this from another angle. What if it was a 'female-identified only' Pharmacy? It seems we would have less of an issue with it then (which is stupid btw)

4. Drunken Karnie Midget

The same thing applies. Yeah, they might be more versed on hormone therapy than most other firms, but if that's all they know, they never would have made it past college. Pharmacology is the study of drugs/medications, and their interactions. If they only know hormones, then they've severely limited their ability to adequately inform even their own clients, let alone the rest of the general public. A TG only pharmacy makes no sense, and would probably flounder within a year due to such a small customer base.

5. Bubba Atlantis

:) hopefully others will discuss this like you have. I am also curious to get Sparkl's opinion on this.

6. Drunken Karnie Midget

i imagine she'll be a bit pissed. :hs:

7. Bubba Atlantis

There are a lot of unknowns however

Why is it being brought in? What's the context? Why is it associated with the center? How is it associated with the center? Where is it in relation to the center? Is it inside, outside, nextdoor, attached, not attached. What services does the center provide? What services is the pharmacy to provide? Why is it called a pharmacy?

8. Drunken Karnie Midget

Pharmacy boils down to physiology. Biochemistry, and interactions between chemical composition. Philosophy has no place in it.

9. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

I see nothing wrong with it. The women's only gym here has to let men in now because of a retarded lawsuit :hsugh:

There's other pharmacies they can fill their prescription at.

10. KindlyCuddly

KindlyCuddly Irina Lazareanu

what are the unique needs of "female-bodied" individuals that make the exclusion of trans women necessary?

and are female-to-male transgender people who have been on testoterone for years turned away for treatment?

11. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

I believe all forms of discrimination should be legal. But don't see how it would matter for a pharamcist to be transgendered.

Teacher/coach ? I can see the arguments
    Doctor ? yeah.

most professions though ? no real issue.

12. Bubba Atlantis

That is my query as well. I am not fully sure to be honest with you. I believe they would be turned away given the language of the article. It says "for women born women". To me that would infer that you have to identify as female.

13. sparklwazngurly

sparklwazngurly New Member

A transwoman is not a man...

:ugh: say what? Suffferage, Slavery, Civil Rights rings a bell? Yeh those happened because that kind of idiocy and bullshit WAS fucking legal.

I think you, Sociopath, and Kindly Cuddly have made good points.

This has been something we have been discussing quite a bit in trans circles since that article. To be bluntly honest, this is a typical attitude of feminazi lesbians toward trans women. It's just an extension of the "You didn't suffer from birth like we did as women, you got to enjoy male perks so you're not allowed" sentiment they spout. If I had to analyze this differently... I would say that either A. The founder of the pharmacy has some definite bigotry, or B. Someone screwed up trying to explain what they meant by "female-only" and know they are having to roll with it, as in to back pedal and suddenly appear to "make exceptions" may seem (to some) to undermine the entire aim of the venture.

14. Drunken Karnie Midget

:werd: on all points.

15. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

over the last few years i've noticed some drugs that claim women should not touch, and some that men should not touch... sorry can't remember names or uses, i only pay attention to disclaimers for the entertainment factor... maybe there's a liablity issue if they are geared to a single gender, and it's only black and white with no gray area... lawyers are probably involved in the situation somewhere.

16. sparklwazngurly

Pretty much anything for erectile disfunction and male hairloss, though its usually only if the woman is or suspects she is pregnant. That the ones that come to mind.

17. Bubba Atlantis

Others I know said similar things.

A friend of mine stated the following
    It's the classic feminist separatist argument that is, by the way, anti-trans because "women born women" is a phrase developed specifically in the context of excluding any trans person because trans people supposedly impinge on the rights, and spaces, of 'real' women.

18. sparklwazngurly

Here is a quote directly from the article, saying the same thing again.

“We are an organization that has for almost 40 years supported women around their battle with breast cancer or unwanted pregnancy or delivering a baby with a midwife, [and] celebrating or dealing with menopause,” Duncan said. “It’s about bleeding—or wanting to bleed or not bleed.

To bleed or not to bleed is what a woman makes apparently. I have breast exams every month with my doc. I experience, morning sickness, cravings, cramps, hot flashes, because my estrogen is currently at pregnancy levels. Not too mention, all of the wonderful things involving puberty which I am going through now. Quite appropriately, I am 27 going on 13. Anyways. Extreme feminist is exactly what it is. It's nothing new. The first major incident in this fight occured at a several day music festival for women, during which a transwoman was accosted and forcibly removed, because a woman claimed she felt "threatened by the male presence in the womens restroom" That is when the women born women phrase came into play.

Also Bubba, you should check out the S10 summit of the APA from last april. It is regarding the DSM-V and inclusion of GID (Gender Identity Disorder) in it. Sadly, Zucker is chairing, a ridiculous heteronormative asshole, who feels that transgenderism is a failure of the parents to correct degerative behavior. He pushes the use of electroshock in his treatments. Many suicides are on his hands. Anyways... the S10 summit, evidence from study over the last two years (of which I was a participant) was presented that trans issues are neurobiological and/or chromosomal and therefore physiological in nature. The doc's running this study, their goal is to get GID removed since trans is not a psych disorder, and to instead classify all trans types as a form of intersex. This is what I am (true female brain construction as confirmed on MRI and CT scan, looking at size and construction of areas such as hypothalmus, and also looking at area specific dendrite counts) Doing this would finally get it covered medically and insurance companies would need to cover procedures, for our "birth defects" (that's what I call... it).

19. sparklwazngurly

Bottom Line is... no, transgender discrimination, or any discrimination, is not okay.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  20. twistid

i don't want everyone hugging eachother, but i wish people would treat each other like people... i know this will never happen, so my next wish is that i win the lottery.

21. Drunken Karnie Midget

I was right... Sparkl's pissed. Can't say i blame you, this is just another form of bigotry.

22. sparklwazngurly

Rawr! Sparkl kitty attack! LOL. You really wanna open it up... I got into a fight over the new Hate Crime Bill... the person I was fighting with said his rights got taken away since it doesn't offer equal protection, only protects groups that are (historical victims of hate crimes.) I told him that was just retarded, since the nature of a hate crime, is a crime based on discrimination with exceptional violence. The groups that fall victim to this, are minorities. And I will not apologize for something that protects me. It hasn't been equal. Google transgender day of rememberance, and look at the lists of just transpeople who have been murdered, we release a new list every year. Most of the crimes are heinous, and for the first time ever, a couple months ago, the perpetrators of a hate crime against a trans person were convicted as having committed such. The historical result of such a case would be the defendants claiming temporary insanity at "suddenly" finding out the victim "wasn't really" a man/woman. This excuses them bashing their face in with a fire extinguisher until the stop struggling, then cutting and stabbing the body after wards.

23. Bubba Atlantis

:) I enjoy a heated discussion. Just keep in mind to be civil (this is to everyone) as we do not need to make it personal (which no one has done yet).

Thus, I see nothing wrong with ruffling some feathers in a discussion :)

24. twistid

wait, what??? what is his right prior to the bill, that will be taken away???

25. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

I think there has to be some sort of line drawn when it comes to people switching genders. In Massachuttets they are trying to pass a bill that would bar discrimination against trans gendered people in respect to the use of restroom. There is no check whatsoever though, so anyone who personally identifies with a gender would have the right to use whichever restroom they feel they should. Based on that a pedofile could dress in a skirt and use a girls restroom, and as long as he states that he identifies more as a female, it would be legal and he could watch all the little girls he wants.

Thats where some sort of lines have to be drawn, this is not a black and white issue.