TRANSFORMERS - Biggest 7-day Opening of All Time (non-sequel)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TriShield, Jul 8, 2007.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

'Transformers' Huge $152M First Week

[​IMG]

Paramount says PG-13 Transformers officially made $22.7 million Friday and $25.9 million Saturday and a projected $18.9 million Sunday from 4,011 North American theaters. After a record breaking Fourth Of July mid week opening, I'm told the DreamWorks battle of the bots hauled in a hefty $67.6 million this weekend for a 6 1/2 day cume of $152.5 million.

So, in even less time, Transformers now has scored the biggest 7-day opening of all time for a non-sequel, passing Spider-Man 1 ($151.6M), The Passion Of The Christ ($144.6M) and Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone ($129.4). In addition, Transformers has grossed $93.6 million in 29 overseas markets representing 40% of the international business. Paramount estimates the global box office by end of day Sunday at $246.1 mil. The domestic cume is 50% more gross receipts than Paramount anticipated, and 20% more than others predicted. That's also equivalent to the budget of the rock 'em, sock 'em movie without marketing costs.

"Word has gotten out to the parents that it's OK to take the kids," a Paramount exec told me Friday. Cinemascope gives Transformers an A with "under 18" and "18 to 24 years olds" giving it an A+. Biggest reason why moviegoers went to see it was "subject matter" (63%) and "type of movie" (35%). Other data have showed a strong nostalgia factor for Transformer toys and toons. Paramount also tells me preliminary exit polling shows that, among general audiences, Transformers is playing strongest with general audiences' older females (Moms) and through the roof with kids (90% of boys say they would definitely recommend) and parents (82% say they would definitely recommend).

But the studio says that what is making the big box office difference is African Americans and Latinos flocking to see the film. but especially Latino audiences. Transformers, directed by Michael Bay and supervised by Steven Spielberg, has smashed one-day records for Tuesday ($27.8M), Wednesday ($29M), and Thursday ($19.1M) as well as for Independence Day. On Monday night, the pic took in $8.8M.

[​IMG]

2. TriShield

Trans-MOTHERFUCKING-Formers

3. Grouch

Grouch Guest

paid for it's shooting costs in a week.

4. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

This is the movie that will cause me to get a larger TV and Bluray or HD-DVD when it's out on disk.

:wackit:

5. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Sensational Moderator Super Moderator

I like all of the qualifiers :o

6. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

:werd:

I'll have to update the subwoofer as well

7. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

the movie has crazy repeat value as well. I thought I was the only one but I see that more and more people are seeing this move multiple times

8. TankRizzo

The more I think about it, I hope this movie does phenominal in sales so Michael Bay asks for the world to direct the 2nd one and they tell him to pack sand.

9. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

:werd:

That was exactly what I told my wife as we walked out of the theater. Now...LCD or Plasma.............................

10. TRIR

TRIR Guest

LMAO you think they're going to tell him to pack sand with how great this movie is doing. My god ease up on the hatred for Bay a bit, it's not healthy.

11. TankRizzo

Bay is THE reason behind people's LEGITIMATE gripes for this movie. If this movie is off the charts and he asks for a king's ransom to direct the sequels, they will absolutely tell him to get lost. This is THE reason he didn't sign a multi movie deal. :x:

12. brah pitt

brah pitt OT Supporter

Who would you like to see take his place?

13. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

this is the first movie I've ever gone back to see

and yeah.. bay was meh as a director, but it could have been a LOT worse

14. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

it will be blu-ray

15. TankRizzo

I'd rather give it to someone who's up and coming. Maybe who was in TV and done a small film or two who knows how to tell a story. IMO, short of getting Uwe Bol, I don't think they could do much worse than Bay.

Partyboy compiled a decent list.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=80205437&postcount=342

If I had to pick someone who has some big budget movies under his belt, I think Guillermo del Toro would do an excellent job. Although any of the above would do a good job, I think he'd be the most realistic pick for the job. Deep down I'd love Verhoeven to do it, but I know he's not a realistic choice.

16. TriShield

17. Swarthy

Swarthy New Member

I will just be happy if there is a sequel

18. TRIR

TRIR Guest

Hate to burst your bubble Tank, but a sequel without Bay will suck. These movies are where Bay excels as much as you hate to admit it.

19. TankRizzo

He excels at it, yet everyone pretty much agrees he's the reason for all of the movie's shortcomings. There's NO other director even capable of taking on such a daunting task of having shit blow up and *gasp* having a story flow and characters you actually care about when they die? :eek4:

20. TRIR

TRIR Guest

The only people I've heard complaining are overly critical of a movie based of a cartoon about alien robots fighting. Everyone else is enjoying the film.

Oh and I almost cried twice with bumblebee :mamoru:

21. TankRizzo

That's a total cop out and nothing but an EXCUSE for faining love for a film that is definitely not without it's faults. I enjoyed it for what it was, but even dumbing myself down to Neanderthal levels of stupidity so I could enjoy a mind numbing action flick, I still see plenty of room for improvement and things that held this movie back from being great.

Tell me for one second that the hacker plot meant dick to the movie. Tell me you even remotely gave a shit about most of the robots. WTF was Starscream in the movie for? He didn't add anything either.

There was so much time wasted on stupid, pointless shit that they didn't focus on what they should have.

There's only so long that you can reflect back on the few fight scenes in the movie, and then the final fight was such a fucking clusterfuck that it wasn't even that memorable. The Bonecrusher/Prime fight and the first Bumblebee and Barricade fights were so much better than the CGI jerk off fest that was the "big finale".

22. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

I've been saying that all along

23. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

I agree with Tank. There could've been more room for improvement, because Bay does suck much cock. But it's still worth a watch.

24. TankRizzo

That's the thing, I'm not saying it's not worth watching. It's not horrible and I even gave Bay credit for the part of the movie he didn't turn into a clusterfuck. But the fact is this movie is far from perfect. It's not horrible, it's not great either though, and every element that held it back from being great can be directly linked to Bay.

25. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

:rofl: @ AF spec ops.