Transferring files from windows to Macbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BwanaKuu, Aug 23, 2008.

1. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I have about 20GB of files on my windows desktop that I need to transfer to my Macbook. I don't really want to burn a bunch of DVDs and would rather just transfer them over my network somehow. I have no clue how to do this with a Mac though. HALP MEH :hs:

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

got an external harddrive?

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Open system preferences
    click "sharing"
    check the box beside "file sharing"
    on the right side it should give you an address at which you can access the mac from the windows pc
    mine is afp://10.0.1.200/

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

It's easier if you already know how to share a folder in Windows. Share out the folder like normal (and make sure the firewall's turned off), then on the Mac go into the Network folder (if it's not obvious, open Macintosh HD and hit Command-uparrow), and your PC should be there with its shared folders underneath.

You can even share out your entire hard drive(s) from My Computer and copy files at your leisure.

5. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

When I go to the Network folder on my Mac there isn't anything. Do I have to make it a part of my Windows Network first? I can easily see the files I'm trying to share on my other Windows computer.

EDIT: WTF, I left the Network folder open for like 15 mins while I did stuff on my desktop and the other computers suddenly appeared. o_O

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  6. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

try this:

on the PC, right-click the folder you want to share (or you can just share the drive), go to properties, click the sharing tab, and set up sharing.

put them both on the same WiFi network or, if need be, put them both on the same ad-hoc network.

determine the ip of the PC (start--run--cmd--ipconfig)

on the mac, go to finder and do COMMAND-K. (connect to server)

in the box type smb:// then the PC's address. it might ask you to do a password, etc. just log in.

you should see your files.

just so you know, "afp://" is apple file protocol or something.
    smb:// is samba share, which is what makes the mac work with windows shares over a network.