WEB Transferring a site question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Comtrad, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Comtrad

Comtrad Guest

Looking to transfer a site from a crap host (onezerohosting). However only have access to the FTP and phpmyadmin. Is this enough info to transfer everything?

as simple as d/ling then re-uploading?
  2. Browning

Browning Active Member OT Supporter

Feb 14, 2005
    as far as I know, yes. If I remember right from when I asked on here just dl all the files and export the msql database through phpmyadmin.
  3. Comtrad

Comtrad Guest

yeah, it's a tube site.

if anyone can do this for a small fee, let me know. im skerred i will screw something up.
  4. Comtrad

Comtrad Guest

Ok, here are the details.

I have a few sql databases which are about 20mb

Then I have about 65gb worth of files.

The company I switched to said they can't do the transfer as my other host does not have Cpanel.

I want to make sure that it's as simple as exporting the sql databases, then importing them all through phpmyadmin.

Then downloading all the files from the old host and reuploading to the new host.

Is it that simple (will take awhile to do but simple)?

I had a quote from website movers to move the site, but they want fucking $750 to do it!
  5. Deviance

Deviance Can't you smell that smell? OT Supporter

Jul 10, 2007
    Go in to phpmyadmin and backup all your database files.

Go to your new host and create the new database and give it the proper permissions.

Import the backup(s) you made.

Tar your Website directory and sub directories. Upload it to your new server. Untar it. Change any config files to support your new database name and user info.

Update apache on the new server to point the correct domain to proper path.

That should have you up and running.

You could create a subdomain for your existing domain and point it at the new server. Say test.domain or dev.domain This would allow you to test the new site before doing the cutover. Only word of caution is, if you are using hard links in your site, images etc may get loaded off of the old server. If you are using relative paths, it shouldn't be an issue.

I move a lot of sites way too often and this is the procedure I use.