transfering tapes and records to MP3/CD and defeating copy protection. (legally)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mark, May 25, 2004.

1. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

OK guys, This is the skinny on:

Copying records to MP3 or CD.
    Copying tape to MP3 or CD.
    Defeating copy protection on CDs. (Please, use this legally for things like personal use, MP3 players, ect.)

First thing (for copying Records and Tapes): Make sure that you have a stereo line input on your sound card.

Make a cable to connect the RC plugs on the record or tape player. For parts to to Radio Shack (www.radioshack.com). It is really simple, just ground to ground and right to right and left to left. Just be carefull while soldering.

:NOTE: DO NOT connect the amp to the computer. You DO NOT want the amplified signal. :/NOTE:

Download a program like PolderbitS sound recorder (http://www.polderbits.com/).
    Connect everything and set the recorder to source from line in.
    Start the recorder recording.
    Start the record/tape playing. (Dont worry about a lil time with no sound between wen u can start the record or tape and wen u start the recorder, you can chop it off later)
    The PolderbitS recorder will find the time between songs and separate them for you (you have to tell it to AFTER recording).

If you did it right, you should now have MP3's.

Now, how to defeat copy protection on CD's.

Just start PolderbitS and set the input to speaker out. Start the CD playing and adjust the levels so the music sounds right.
    Stop the CD.
    Start the recorder.
    Start the CD.

PolderbitS has a online manual that describes its full compatibility quite well. It also talks explains the above in differant (prolly better) words.

Disclaimer: PLEASE use this legally. I love my MP3 player and i hate it when i can use it for all my music. Copy protection exists for a reason. Dont defeat that reason.

2. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

Stickey please?

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If I'm not mistaken, CD copy protection can be defeated on Windows by holding the shift key while inserting the CD.

4. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

They is a certain type of protection. Somtimes, cd makers purposly introduce errors that CD players ignore but make CR rippers unable to encode. That is the kind that this solves.

5. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

Thanks alot man, my dad has been asking me to transfering a lot of his old cassettes onto CD for him, now I know how :bigthumb:

6. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

Welcome