Transfering Hard drives to new comp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skyline22GTR, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

I want to re-use my old harddrives from my previous system until I can get enough money to buy newer drives. The old ones are all IDE drives.

My first question is do they make IDE to SATA adapters? I am sure they probably do, but do they function well enough to use or are they not worth it?

I am also moving from a computer runnig Windows XP to Vista Ultimate. If I just plugged in my old hard drive using the adapter into an SATA port would I have any trouble reading it in my new system (i.e. Different formatting)?

This hard drive is only for music and movie storage by the way.

Thanks for your input.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they do make IDE>SATA adapter. Performance is not as good as native SATA, but it will work. I personally recommend saving your money and just making your entire purchase when you can afford proper SATA hard drives (the same money today will likely buy you more tomorrow, anyway). If it is not your primary drive, you could also consider a USB enclosure. Performance would be less with USB, but you gain portability which you may value (I do).

If it is read natively by XP, then it can be read by Vista.

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yeah, +1 for USB external enclosures.

4. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

You guys have any suggestions on a good enclosure. My buddy bought one a few years ago and it was crap. Harddrive would get extremely hot and I think it fried the HD eventually.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I really don't have any brand preference with enclosures.
    I pick ones that matches my PC case.

I do recommend getting something with external power (AC adapter), equiped with an on/off switch, and one with a big ass 80mm fan as this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145656

if you have a lot of IDE HDDs,... you should also consider an enclosure that can hold 2 or more drives for less clutter.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Kingwin has been good, in my experience. Always get an aluminum enclosure -- never plastic.