Trans Am vs. Mustang GT

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Lethal, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Lethal

Lethal OT Supporter

Hey guys, I have to write a 10 page comparison paper on anything I wanted, so I chose Trans Am vs. Mustang GT. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could provide me with reliable websites with any type of information on either car. Thank you:)

2. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

oooooohhhhh man

<------settles in for a nice long war

3. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Hell yeah. Its been a while since we had one of these. We need 10 pages worth of material. How many sources do you need? Because trust me, OT is all you'll need to have.

4. Possum Stomper

are you sure you want to do a GT? i mean its thoroughly outclassed by a TA, year for year

depending on which year, a cobra would be a better comparo

5. Lethal

Lethal OT Supporter

I need a minimum of 6 sources. It would be alot better if the information I got was from actual websites though, as it would be much more reliable then from another person over a forum. If you stated your opinion with site(s) to back it up, then I would really appreciate it.

6. Lethal

Lethal OT Supporter

Yes, I think I am going to do a GT as they're closer in price ranges if I'm correct. I am going to base most of the paper on the 02 models, but I also think I'll do some of it on the history of each.(older model TA's and GT's)

7. Possum Stomper

8. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Cobra vs. SS would be more accurate.

9. Lethal

Lethal OT Supporter

Alright, well then why would SS vs. Cobra be better?

10. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

An intresting point to make would be the different build characteristics of the engines, I.E. OHC vs. OHV, to point out that while direct competitiors, one has gone the route of a more high tech engine build while another has gone the route of the older style less popular Over head valve configuration. Alot of people are deeply deluded about these cars and still make assumptions like the big block is still in them, or whatnot.

Also, Educate, I think you got those HP and torque figures nixed up there on your post. You might want to recheck those. If hes writting a paper, he might as well not go the way of the import mags and start blurting out useless info.

11. Lethal

Lethal OT Supporter

Thanks Guys:) You're right, the TA just flat out whoops the GT, so I think I'll go with the Cobra instead. Buick, if you could provide me with information on those types of engines and such, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll find it myself:) Thanks.

12. Possum Stomper

the power numbers are technically correct
    F Body
    1998-2000 = 305/335 or 320/345 in SS/WS6
    2001-2002 = 310/340 or 325/345 in SS/WS6
    GT/Cobra
    1996-1998 = 215hp/285tq GT (225hp in 98)
    305hp/300tq Cobra
    1999-current = 260hp/302tq GT
    320hp/317tq Cobra (1999 and 2001 only)
    390hp/390tq Cobra (2003)

the engines in the fourth generation F Body were LT1 (93-97) and LS1(98-02) both are OHV, the LT1 is a GenII Block displacing 350 cubic inches or 5.7 liters, LS1 is Gen III displacing 346 cu in. or 5.7 liters for simplicity's sake
    the LT1 has many features leftover from your standard small block chevy (SBC) like iron block, two bolt main bearings (4 bolt in the corvette) and so on, unique features being Opti-spark iginition (meh) and a new short runner intake manifold compared to previous engines (an offshoot of the LT1, the LT4 debuted in 96-97 with 330hp)
    the LS1 is all new having almost nothing in common with previous genrations
    it has all aluminum, deep skirt block, six bolt main, composite (plastic) intake manifold, completely new head design and a few other niceties
    further up the line is the LS6, used in the Z06 Vette, which has slightly modified components such as heads, manifold, exhaust, cam etc to produce 385-405 hp/385-400tq (in 2001 all ls1's in the F Body got LS6 intakes, accounting for the 5hp gain on paper)

new for 1996 was the 4.6 liter OHC V8 in the Mustang, avaliable in SOHC in the GT and DOHC in the cobra, replacing the previous years' 5.0 OHV motors (much to the dismay of many fans;))
    whereas OHV motors are known for good lowend response and power (TPI's and LT1's being great examples) OHC motors are better known for highend power and broad revrange/high redlines, the Cobra motor being and excellent example
    it had, and still has advanced components such as
    all aluminum block, six bolt mains, forged steel crank (very tough), 4 valve heads that run on two valves under 3000rpms and all four above 3k (an effort to boost lowend response and torque)
    in 1999 Cobras had some serious problems with the motor not making advertised power, worst case scenarios dynoing at less than the previous years numbers, Ford brought them all back in a recall and fixed the problems (restrictive ECU, intake, and exhaust) and come back in 2001 with a debugged and slightly nicer cobra
    lack of lowend punch has been something of a criticism on this motor (it will rev to 7200 rpms) that was finally cured for good it seems in 2003 with the addition of an Eaton M112(?) supercharger, which is an entirely different subject altogether

LS1's generally dyno in the 290-320 range
    96-98 Cobras do about 250-260, 1999/2001's get about 260-270
    and because i am a ford fan
    2003's dyno at roughly 370-390 :)

all figures are bone stock, and i am 98% sure this info is correct

13. Fordgasm

Fordgasm Mike Trout > All

not always.

14. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

15. Lethal

Lethal OT Supporter

Hmm well guys, I'm reconsidering my topic for my paper. I thought it would be enough, but I simply dont think there is enough information to write a 10 page paper on :(. Continue to provide sources though, because there is also a good chance I will stick with this topic.

16. Possum Stomper

there is all kinds of detail you can go into...
    talk about the "weak" 10 bolt rear on an F Bod and how it hampers serious drag performance
    talk about SVT and SLP
    go into the histories of the two cars
    don,t just limit it to 02 models, do the entire 4th gen for each

what kind of paper is it, research or arguement?

17. Los

Los Active Member

Do it all over the infamous Pony Car wars, touching base on the intro in 67, with the Camaro, then ride up to today's current... oh wait, non-current battle.

;)

18. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Mustang GT.

Today, tomorrow, and all of next week. :o

19. Los

Los Active Member

JB Vobra is win!!1

20. Lethal

Lethal OT Supporter

It is just a comparison paper...So basically an arguement paper I guess.

21. Los

Los Active Member

argumentative:

In 1964, Ford revolutionized the automotive world with the introduction of the Mustang...

...the end.

22. Possum Stomper

:bowdown: :bigok:

23. 86Camaro

86Camaro Guest

also you could get the SS with SLP exhaust option to give you 345hp and 350ft/lbs, in 2002 at least. and the WS6 came with 335hp