MMA training with the gi

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Mejnoon, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I train bjj/grappling as part of mma training. As such I've really never had any interest in training with the gi. My gym recently started a once a week gi class though, on a night I'm usually there. I did it last night with a borrowed gi top...it was interesting but still not really my thing.

Do you think I can learn anything in the gi class that can be applied to mma? Is it worth the time/money (gotta buy a gi)?

Also, the instructor arranged to order Gameness gi's for those interested, $85 for single weave or $120 for double. Are these good gi's? Good price?

2. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I'd like to do more no-gi training, as I tend to use the gi a bit too much. Last night I grabbed my opponent's gi to execute a hip throw instead of grabbing his arm properly, and I'll often times use my own gi to counter a kimura.

I think there's a place for both types of training. Just as there's a place for stand up training as well as grappling/groundfighting.

3. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I did my first grappling tournament ~2 months ago, it was strictly no-gi. I think most bjj tourneys have a no-gi division these days, no?

4. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

alot of no-gi people i've talked to recommend it as a way of cleaning up your form.

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i think gi produces cleaner technique, but thats just my opinion

6. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I had a seminar with Chris Haueter a few days ago, and asked him pretty much the same thing. I think the general idea is that your gi game will help your no gi game, and vice versa. I think a lot of people like to go no-gi strictly because of the ego thing, they just dont want to wear a white belt. The gi helps the game become a slower more tactical fight, forcing you to win with technique rather than strength or speed. I prefer the gi for now, but some of the bigger wrestler type guys always want to go no gi, so they can out muscle you. I dont think you can get a proper grasp on BJJ without training in a gi.

7. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

The gi definitely makes you more technical. And from what I've heard, gameness gis are not that good because they are too heavy and rip in a short time. I have a koral gi and howard gi, I would reccomend both, the howard being slightly better.

8. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

my school never does no-gi, all they do is gi, he lets us roll sometimes without the gi tops but everybody still grabs onto the pants/shirts etc. since they don't know proper no-gi technique :sad2:

9. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

If it's for MMA purposes, train with a gi to better your escapes. Working with the increased grip, as Bit stated, makes it much easier to escape and grapple when dealing with a sweaty no-gi opponent. Try to avoid grabbing the gi for submission attempts, sweeps, or submission counters, lest it become a habit.

10. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Training with the gi can help you refine your technique so you can do better in situations where you can't slip out or the other person is a lot stronger..for MMA or just grappling.

11. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

maybe try training while wearing the gi, and having your partner go no-gi? That way you'll be learning how to escape subs better and you'll be having to fight harder for the sub. Dunno, jus a suggestion?

12. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I train for MMA too. I just started rolling in a Gi about 2 months ago. I've been doing BJJ(no gi) for about 3 years now.

It is frustrating at first because you get tooled by white belts that have been grappling in a Gi since day one. They know gi chokes that you don't know how to watch out for and they know sweeps that you can only do in a gi. But the big thing is you can't slip out of subs.

With no gi your defense doesn't have to be tight. Everything, in general, is a little more sloppy.

Now that I train in the gi(only 1 night a week mind you, and only for a few months) I can already tell my no gi game is progessing. I'm tighter and rely more on technique then I did before. I really enjoy rolling in a gi now(as long as it's only once a week).

I suggest doing it, it will add to your game.

I got a Grapple Gear gi, it was 85, I like it enough.

13. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I'm gonna go ahead and do it. How quick will a single weave wear out? I'd rather have a lighter weight gi just for comfort.

14. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

pants 6-8 months.. top about a year

15. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

damn:ugh:

16. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?