MMA training vid 12/13/06

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Dec 14, 2006.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Haven't done this in a long while, we were recording on a new camera some footage of everybody rolling because my friend wants to make a montage of the new members rolling for fun. Here is the last roll I had for the day with my best training partner Tony, he is about 210 lbs and is the main reason I have any ounce of skill. For me, I use these videos of my rolls to analyze mistakes and whatnot, so if you have any criticism/advice please don't hesitate to be honest.

http://hezkezl.com/cage/kentony8.wmv

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

haha.. well doing heel hooks is illegal if youre wearing a gi.

3. chechen

when he takes you down around 3:14.. you coulda sat right into a triangle.

youre good at recovering guard, and i think you hate passing spider guard or open guard when someone is grabbing your sleeves. i cant stand it either, especially against tall guys..

maybe you should play a bit more with x-guard.. i see you using that butterfly hook.. but you dont look totally confident with it yet. maybe its just because the guy is so much bigger. but like at five minutes.. the guy should never be able to hop over your butterfly hook like that into the mount. If he gets that close and you have the butterfly hook you either have to abandon ship and lock your legs again, or put both hands on his hips and kick your leg at the same time to push him back. anyway i'm sure you'd own me, but thats probably my favorite position in bjj.. so thats why im giving you advice on that.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

thanks for the advice, I do like the x guard and will try setting it up more. And the way I roll with this guy is so strange because he is just so much bigger/stronger that a lot of moves I simply can't do on him without using a lot of strength/effort myself (i.e. triangles, holding him in mount for more than a short while etc).

5. chechen

yeah i suck with long big guys.. the best way i found to get them for me is just to beat them to the chase during scrambles... and jump on an arm or whatever.. hard to force a guy like that to be anywhere he doesnt wanna be

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

haha yeah I totally know what you mean. I must have rolled with Tony over 1000 times by now... its not only the size issue, but also the fact that he wrestled for four times as long as I have which makes it so hopeless in some positions (failed shot on him, him driving as hard as he can with a double leg, breaking his turtle down, etc :wtc:). The best thing I think I get out of our rolls is that I feel like if I develop things that work on him, they will most definitely work on anybody my size and has helped me tremendously in competition.