Training up for a long distance swim (supplements)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by eter, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eter

eter New Member

I usually train once a day (weights 3 times a week, running/cycling/swimming/sports otherwise). In 3 weeks time, I have a swim race 5km across a river and back and so for the past week I have added 4 x 2km swimming workouts to my training (which will gradually increase to 4 x 3km).

I've never taken any supplements because I have a natural tendency to bulk. I've noticed however that I've already begun to lose a little weight (which I want to avoid in order to be more resistant to the cold water) and that I have trouble recovering. What would you recommend?

2. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Don't worry about supplements aside from the normal multi/fish oil/protein. I wouldn't want to be taking stimulants for any type of long distance stuff since you'll probably dehydrate / burn out faster. Diet is going to be the main key...keep carb levels high along with protein and somewhat low fats from healthy sources. Sweet potatoes, oats, any type of complex carbs + whatever fruits you enjoy, blah blah the nutrition sticky explains it.

3. Finest

Finest OG #93

Beta Alanine. Shit keeps me going for hours on end without the burn.

4. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

Peanut butter.

You just need to eat more really.

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Yeah. Shoot for 100-150g of protein if you aren't already getting it and eat more. The more you eat the faster you recover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.