MMA training tips

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Kuet, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Kuet

Kuet New Member

i know someone asked this already a few months back, i guess i should listen in class. Anyways, i went into my buddies MT academy, and also went into a couple MMA gyms to check them out. Turns out i supposedly have very powerful kicks, the problem is my shins feel as if they are made of clay. now i could probably handle this myself, but are there any techniques that you guys know of that you have used to get your shins rock solid? i know its a realtive painful process but i wanna be able to do it when i work out at home, so anything would be awesome.:naughty:

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I did a little experiment on this. I started kicking my heavy bag with the right leg only, so that I could condition it and then contrast it to an unconditioned left leg and see if I progress. After a few months I could kick with my right as hard as I wanted and not feel the sting. The only pain I get is if I land the middle of the shin on one of the really hard parts on the bottom of the bag.

When I started on the left, I could put out 1/4th the power and only get maybe 20 kicks before the pain became too much.

3. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I trained with a MT guy for about the first 8 years or so I was into martial arts, and he was big into shin conditioning. so now I have razor blade shins

4. Kuet

Kuet New Member

details on how you got them that way pls & thx.

5. Kuet

Kuet New Member

not only kicking things, but like rolling something similar to a dough roller over my shins over and over again. i dont have any oak trees in my house.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

You don't have to do any special (read: stupid, dangerous) shin training to condition them. Just do what they really do in Thailand, kick the bags and pads all day, every day.

OK all day every day may not be possible , but just keep kicking the Thai pads and heavy bag every day. They've been kicking heavy bags and Thai pads every day since they were 5 years old... maybe younger! It just takes time.

And please PLEASE don't kick oak trees. ROFL.

7. padrino2k

padrino2k New Member

A friend of mine whose shins are like baseball bats recommended that I roll a bamboo stick over my shins to deaden the nerves. At first it hurt like heck, but now I hardly feel it. But then again, I also kick trees. My coach has a couple trees that he put carpet and various amounts of padding around, so I bang on those for a round or so once a week.

8. Kuet

Kuet New Member

youre nutz lol

9. Kuet

Kuet New Member

thanks y'all , keep em coming
    but im gonna use that bamboo technique.... i dont have anywhere to hang a heavy bag in my house.... but great feedback so far thX

10. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Another thing I was told that you could do was to get a regular plastic water/soda bottle and fill it up with sand and roll/hit ur shins with it to kill the nerves.

11. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

my friend got his shins evil by kicking stuff, I got mine evil by clashing shins with him. we were in kung fu at the time so that is the preferred way, they call it 7 star conditioning

12. padrino2k

padrino2k New Member

ty. :bigthumb: