MIL Training suggestions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Abomb, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I want to ace my PFT and still have gas in the tank. I have been running constantly (rowing once or twice to give the legs a break when needed). I understand in terms of running I just need to run until I cant anymore and than run some more to get my endurance up. How many days a week should I be doing this ? 4 5 6 7? What should I train myself to be able to do? A maximum of 5 6 7 8 + miles?

I would also like some help putting together a training split that is geared specifically towards maxing out my fitness ability.

I have set aside 4 days a week to go to the gym. I can go more if you guys suggest it.

Mostly I am looking for what exercises should I do on what days to get into maximum marine shape? I know how to do for the most part with few exceptions every single body building and strength exercises in the gym.

My gym split would look something like tues/thurs/sat/sun

Any input would be greatly appreciated and utilized, thanks barracks.

side note: What would be an ideal weight range for me? I have a feeling with constant running my weight is going to equal out anywhere from 160-175.

2. spook

spook OT Supporter

I'm in the same boat as you right now, I got my run time down to 18:45 a few months ago and then just kind of let it go and focused a lot on strength. Mix up your running, go distance one day and sprints the next. Work on you crunches everyday even though getting 100 is easy, your abs can take a constant beating. If you can't get 20 pull-ups (I'm assuming you are), use the assist machine and set yourself a high amount of reps to complete. Slowly drop resistance until you get your 20. If you can get 20, strap weight onto yourself with a belt and do them.

How tall are you?

3. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I am by no means a fitness expert but I will tell what worked for me.
    Growing up I was a really good sprinter but hated any type of distance over 100m.

I decided I wanted to max my run times for the PT test, so I entered a triathlon. The cross training/multi sports discipline provided enough variety for me to stay interested. Going to the gym or just out in the neighborhood and doing a 6-8 mile run gets repititive very fast.

I can't write a training plan for you because it is best that you find your own but here is what I found to be most important:

1. Breathing, sounds cliche but once I got my breathing under control I found I could go longer, faster, and harder with much less effort

2. Overdistance workouts: your goal looks to be the Marine Corps PT run so thats 3 miles. Basically go a distance of about 2.5x - 3x your target goal at a slower pace. Its to get the body used to the constant movement and to build up the legs

3. Brick Workouts: for multi sport athletes its basically stacking a workout on top of another. Example: 1500m swim then a transition to 10mile bike ride. transition as quickly as possible to get maximum effect.

4. Nutrition: I tried all kinds of supplements and sports drinks before I figured out what worked best for me that allowed me to push myself and to recover in a decent amount of time

5. Telling everyone about the triathlon. It became a concrete goal, something I looked at everyday on the calendar. Blowing off a day at the gym meant possibly not completing the race. telling friends and family held me even more accountable as I like to be a man of my word

Your current physical condition and motivation/dedication will determine how quickly or slowly you progress to each phase

Also goto a place like Barnes and Nobles, Borders or whatever large bookstore you have in town. Read all triathlon and running magazines you find interesting, take notes, copy website names, compare workout programs and modify your regimen as you see fit.

Running is a very personal thing so you have to be self motivated and able to do it alone

Good Luck :wavey:

4. kazimer

kazimer New Member

Forgot to mention

Get a jump rope. Jumping rope helps with the breathing and endurance

For strength training I have a TRX (http://www.fitnessanywhere.com)
    it is kind of pricey but I can isolate individual parts of my body and strengthen them without worrying about adding too much bulk as its all bodyweight

5. Abomb

Abomb New Member

5'10.

I can do about 10-12 unassisted body weight chinups for my first set. Should I keep training without assistance in this case? And very nice 3 mile run time.

6. Abomb

Abomb New Member

Thank you for the tips. I am trying to get a feel for what the physical training in basic is going to be like so that I can come out at the top of my class.

7. kazimer

kazimer New Member

Not sure how Marine bootcamp is run...but I arrived to Army Basic having passed the Navy SEAL fitness test with very impressive numbers(long story of why I didnt go navy :o ) ...by the time I graduated my PT went to shit. you dont/wont have the same amount of time to dedicate to being in top shape. my class always catered to the middle 50% when it came to PT so it was very difficult to maintain a higher level because of a lack of challenge

8. spook

spook OT Supporter

I'm 5'10" as well, right under 170, I want to be 175 by the time I hit Quantico. When it comes to pull-ups, set yourself a number for the day, say 60. Do a few sets unassisted, when you tire out you need to add resistance so you can reach your goal of 60. Working those muscles even with help will increase your overall pull-up number.

9. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

I found that wind sprints really helped improve my run.

10. burn__

burn__ New Member

i did a routine i found online somewhere. basically work your way up from a 4min walk, 5min run, 4min walk, 5min run. ended with something like a 2min walk, 15min run, 2min walk, 15min run. then again, im AFROTC so i dont need to run for quite as long :mamoru:

11. Off

Off Memento Mori

this

run 100m walk 100m 10-15 times

if you've been running for a while your body should be able to handle it fine, but do it on a softer surface. And remember, when you feel like you cant go on, you're only at the 50% mark :big grin:

12. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

and know that for your PFT run or whatever it is called, you'll run faster than you ever have. Maybe only by a few seconds, but that extra adrenaline will kick it, allowing you to finish faster.