Training logs v. II

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Filmboy44, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

I wanted to explain to those that feel that taking a log or "diary" to the gym with you has a great deal of benefits and is A LOT better than trying to remember your progress as you continue to train.

as I said before a journal will help you pin point plateau's and know what will work to break the low points.

ON paper you can read where you start to see a drop in gains. Over time I was able to see that I wasn't increasing weight on particular exercises like I would before. I understand that it isn't supposed to go up ALL the time, and remain consistant, but this dropoff was drastic. I was also able to know what my diet was like at that given point, so if changing the workout didn't help my diet would.

THis way I was able to say "well this many carbs didn't work for me, nor did this particular training routine at this time of day" so I changed it up and broke through those flat spots.

also, you can maintain your goals better, and have a better road in sight to achieve them.

I know guys that have been training longer than I have and haven't grown an inch...I don't see a book with them when they come in either.

Not saying that its the book, but how can you really be serious and dedicated if you dont care enough to track progress?

Now, its not the book that makes you get bigger, how foolish for one to say. But, it just goes along the lines that we are obviously more dedicated to our training than others and we're the ones that show gains...hey its no bones to us if you decide to keep it in your "head".

It was made apparent that those that don't grow after the same amount of training under their belt is because of poor diet, dedictation and other factors. This can also be contributed to not knowing what youre taking in or what yor training on a daily basis. Some may be able to believe that you can infact remember what you trained and how you felt...but you'll be sad to know that you're missing out on A LOT of important details.

keep a journal folks, and if its too much trouble,start getting used to the fact that it will take you a little longer to obtain your goals than you think :)

Also, this thread is not to shadow trances decision to lock that thread. I have his permission to post this thread as there was a point I wanted to make and he is fully aware of this.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I see where you're coming from but I (along with others?) find journals to be a distraction. I personally have no problem remembering the weight i used in the gym. Just transfer it to a log when i get home.

but i agree with you a journal is necessary

3. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

for me it keeps me in the zone. I can concentrate on each individual set instead of worrying about what I"m going to be doing next and next and next. I can think about the lifts individually.

4. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

Trance originally asked who brought a log TO the gym, and specifically said he did not mean web/computer-based logs. I can track at my progress just as easy, if not easier, on a computer.

5. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

Also, are you really trying to say that people who take logs to the gym are somehow more dedicated, and are the only ones who make gains? Come on now, pull the other one Filmy :rolleyes:

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I've been making my best gains when I stopped counting calories and writing down everything that I eat

7. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

starting alog has helped me greatly.

8. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

thats when you separate the men from the boys.

you look at that sheet and work your ass off to get there

9. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

then they're not using it properly.

just writing shit down isn't going to make the weights go up.

10. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

i only live 5 minutes from my gym so i remember everything (its easy to) and as soon as i get home i log it in.

11. trancezj

trancezj New Member

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I find it hard to beleive theres that many people who can remember every rep, weight, and how they felt.

12. Drewski

Drewski New Member

Every week or so, I try to copy my log into a spreadsheet so I can graph my progress. Makes it really easy to pinpoint where I’m good, and where I need to improve.

If I was a real geek, I’d buy a cheap PDA and bring that to the gym so I could just sync the info directly to my computer.

13. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I have a good memory, my routines aren't that complicated.

14. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I have no problem remembering sets and reps so I figure why bother?

15. mblonde

mblonde New Member

i've logged everything in a notebook from the beginning... it helps me a lot and i get to look like a huge nerd in the gym at the same time :bigthumb:

16. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

yep...no need for a journal

17. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

i just use the ot f&n log to track everything, then print out the workout that im going to do, write the increased sets right next to the previous weights & take that to the gym.

Just a paper & no pens or writing required while at the gym.

than input the results back into compy. :cool:

18. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

My 3rd and 4th years of marathon training I kept a log and looked back. I still keep somewhat of one this year. It's a good thing to do IMO. :)

19. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

There are, indeed, times that I do forget something that I did at the gym, or I forget to log it when I get back because I have so much shit going on and then can't remember later on. I used to Bring a notebook with me whenever I went to the gym and while I did see gains during that time, I wouldn't be willing to say that it's entirely because of the notebook. However, there were always those times where I could just look at the previous week and see exactly what I had done and say, "Oh, yeah! I did this last week so this week I'll do this!"

There have been numerous times recently that I've had to stop and really think about what I did the previous week in order to determine, or at least guess, about what I should be doing that day. I do have a somewhat set routine that I follow, but it does help to be able to look back as a reminder and see what you should be able to do and see what you need to address this time around.

As soon as I can grab myself an extra notebook from home (that doesn't fall apart when you turn the page) I will continue logging everything I do at the gym and how I felt about certain things.

20. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

page one

great thread

21. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

:Owned:

22. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

:werd:

23. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

I did that for about 2 weeks last year and I found it to be a hassle/distraction (even though I could use the pda as a MP3 player as well). My PDA was cheap and didn't have the ability to communicate with MS office and I had to re-type everything anyways...where I found I could just put down what I remembered doing and it was quicker for me as opposed to scrolling through the PDA (I would check to make sure I put everything accurately and never found any discrepancies).

24. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

Filmy, do you write down how each set felt? as in, this set was really difficult because of the weight, or i didn't get as many reps because my form was off etc?

do you track things so closely as to write down how much sleep you got the night before and things of that nature?

25. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

pretty much...

Ex.

Barbell curls: 5 sets 12,10,8,8,6 (increase weight)

set 3 was to get 8 - I got 7 with a little help - too much weight *175lbs*

set 4 I was to get 8 I got 9 to make up for the last set at 160lbs
    set 5 I was to get 6 - I got 6 at 175lbs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.