MMA Training help v. weight lifting

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by RockDaBoat, Mar 19, 2009.

1. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I feel like a complete n00b asking this, but I like to thinkI know what I'm doing, I just need a little direction! (Just don't point me towards the F&N stickies!)

Before I started training in MMA/BJJ I was an avid weight lifter and my training was geared towards max strength and 1RM in the three major lifts, deadlift, squat and bench.

But obviously that's not going to work too well in a sport that needs constant and consistant explosiveness. I've been toying with different Olympic lifts and some plyrometrics, but if you guys could post ideas/what you do, or an article that I could use, it'd be great.

Also, how do you guys fit it in? Before I got injured (2-3 weeks ago :hs:), I was training MMA twice a week, with BJJ once a week. I'd get to the gym twice a week max (on top of runs, squash, soccer etc etc), but I'd also be too sore before I went in and my muscles would be exhausted to give max effort the next day.

Thanks for any/all help.

2. teep

teep New Member

deadlifts and squats are still good. cleans, olympic lifts, snatches, plyometrics are also good- shit like box jumps, clap pushups, etc

There's only so much you can do. if you're involved in other sports too obviously you can't do as much. for most people mma/bjj alone is more than enough. i'd say lift at the very least 3 times a week if strength is a high priority.

3. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

A simple 5x5 program like this: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

is a good start. I found you can make very good gains with it, and it's simple to follow. Also, adding things like olympic lifts, overhead/front squats, and plyometrics is easy to do; i.e substitute the deadlifts for olympic lifts, etc...

I was doing savate and this, and noticed that my overall speed increased a lot compared to everyone else in my class.

4. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

no. this isnt F&N.

5. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

you going to want a higher rep program. lower weights, higher reps, short rests.
    you should be looking to build muscle endurance more than building pure strength.

the 5x5 main goal is to add heavier weight each and every session.

rather something with higher reps and lighter weight get you used to keeping constant activity against resistance.

6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

yeah, i found guys i go against with just strength and no endurance in BJJ get really lazy/slow after a few minutes. i usually do pushups but i try and make them as slow moving as possible to build my endurance.

7. teep

teep New Member

everyone has different goals. there isn't one program that's perfect for everyone. obviously jiu jitsu and MMA aren't the only the only things he's interested in.

8. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I was really hellbent on getting huge as well before I started BJJ. I found out pretty quick that I needed a 3 day split to be able to keep up going to bjj 2-3 days a week without burning myself out.

I have a push day, a pull day, and an auxillary day (calves and arms).

Find something that you can do long term without wanting to completely quit lifting or completely quit BJJ. I think I made it about a year trying to lift hard and heavy and trying to do BJJ before my body finally told me no more.

9. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

well, then he's chasing 7 seven rabbits and will catch none. :hsd:

10. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

11. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

No weights for me. I do situps, pushups, and a bazillion crunches. Works. Other than that just train hard, muscle will grow in the way you need it to.

Granted, I'm smaller than everyone so this may work better for me than you.

12. ZZex

ZZex New Member

my concept is the same here. More plyometrics and very little weight training. I wouldnt mind doing more weight training, but my body can't handle it + BJJ.

13. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

Well to each their own. I think a basic 5x5 is a great base for starting olympic style lifts and to add explosiveness. If you overtrain any routine too much, you will get injured.

If you are serious about competition, then you have to consider periodization of your program as per your competitions, so there won't be just one single program that would work for you. After you have built your strength base, you should move on to muscular endurance as you get closer to competition.

That being said, a basic strength routine that isn't too stressful will increase your functional strength, and the BJJ itself should help your conditioning. Additionally, performing a cardio routine twice a week of interval training, running, swimming, etc... should cover you cardio wise.

What is your plan workout wise? How much time are you going to dedicate to weightlifting, cardio and BJJ?

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i sure don't compete but back when i wrestled in high school / college. I alternated Heavy and light weeks.

1 week i'd do a normal split 1 week with heavy weight low reps
    the next week i'd do my normal split with low weight high reps

just to try to hit all the muscle fibers i could :)

i imagine everyone would have their own routine they are comfy with but when i competed in wrestling it worked well for me to train alternating between endurance and strength on alternating weeks.

and lots of running. being able to breathe and still move at a good speed late in a match was more beneficial than being strong more cases than not.

15. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

asked the same question to the IC guys...and they all pointed me to the bear complex workouts

16. Sylva

Sylva New Member

You also complain about getting out muscled by everyone, so I'm not sure whats "working" for you.

17. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

Those look great, but my only fear would be if you couldn't do olympic lifts properly. Nothing like pulling your lower back muscles to put you out of commission. I'd wait until you have good form with all of the exercises involved.

18. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Good post.

19. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Just because I'm a girl and they're boys. In comparison to girls of my weight, I'm strong.

20. Optamix

Optamix New Member

You felt stupid strong last time we grappled.

Granted I"m not all super broli, but you felt as strong as I was. :dunno:

21. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

I used to be an avid weight lifter.. i had the bench press record at my high school in fact..

when i started bjj i found that i was hurting myself by weight lifting and training hard.. was just too much for my muscles.

eventually i gave up lifting weights, and i never really felt like i needed to do it. anytime somebody my size was pushing me around, i found something was wrong with my technique.

technique is a lot more important than power.. cardio is probably even more important than power.

22. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Maybe she just had better technique.

23. Optamix

Optamix New Member

No doubt her technique was better, but she was strong too. I was really impressed.

24. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Maybe you are weak like a girl who is 20+lb lighter then you :dunno:

25. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I used to do a 3x12 65% 1rm push pull routine