Training for RAF

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by tc2k, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tc2k

tc2k New Member

Joining the RAF in around 5 weeks time so I need to get fitness up. Now its already at a decent stage, the stage where Ive got into the RAF but Ill need to try and up it before starting basic training. My cardio is decent and Im gonna be running around 1.5-2 Miles a day and possibly cycling around 5 miles once or twice a week.

However, at the medical the doctor said Ill need to work on my upper body, all Ive been doing is pressups but I know thats not enough. Had been meaning to get some weights to build my upper body, finally today I went out and got 25kg of Weights along with 2 dumbell bars and a 5ft barbell bar.
    Now theres a sheet with 12 barbell exercises and 12 dumbell exercises.

Now after a 30minute workout I can feel theyre working my body but I need a bit of a regime. Im a pretty slender guy, 66kg/145lb and 6ft 1" tall so I know I need to bulk up but that's easier said than done, I have an extremely high metabolism and I eat and eat but find it very hard to put on weight, so dietary advice isn't much use, Im just going to try and eat alot more proteins and carbs.

Now can anyone recommend workouts for me, Ive been keeping in mind I want to be doing lots of reps right now rather than lifting a few reps just to build up some base muscle.

Any advice and possible free weight workouts would be much appreciated.

I have no bench right now but I may be able to get one in the next week.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

kilograms and no spaces...

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

4. tc2k

tc2k New Member

Hi again lads, didn't want to create a new thread.
    Im going to be doing lots of situps, crunches, dorsal raises and pushups as these are exercises I have to record and do every day before starting Basic Training.
    Ive got some freeweights (barbell and dumbells) but I dont have a bench, what are the best exercises to do and in what numbers e.g. 3x12, 4x12 etc.
    Im mainly doing bicep curls (barbell), lateral raises (dumbells), standing tricep extension (barbell) and upright rows (barbell).

Thanks

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Do pushups to improve on pushups, do bench to improve on bench

6. tc2k

tc2k New Member

I just said, I dont have a bench. And im looking to improve upper body strength in general as Ill likely be carrying some heavy stuff for long distances. Im thinking lateral raises will help slight in my shoulder region but im not a fitness or anatomy expert at all.

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Pullups, or just do what I did before I left throw about 50lbs in a backpack and get a treadmill and just walk for a good 3-4miles.

Ruck marches for me were prob one of the easiest things of basic

8. tc2k

tc2k New Member

Cheers mate, I preffer walking and running outside on the roads as I tend to have trouble with treadmills and I cant even get in a gym without forking out £450 for a years subscription. Im just gonna be pounding the roads, hammering the bike and try my hand at a bit of swimming, gonna vary it alot before I go away on the 1st of October.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.