Training for law enforcement

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Highlander, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Just curious what you guys think is the best form of training for people going into law enforcement? I'm in college right now and I'm trying to work my way to getting hired as an 1811 with a federal agency.

I've got a while before I finish school, so I really want to start a really thorough training program to make sure I'm in top nop shape. I'm a weight lifter and I've pretty much always lifted with a bodybuilding goal (nowhere near huge or anything). However I've been seeing alot of articles online and just through the grapevine that if you want to be physically fit for law enforcement work that you should NOT bodybuild at all.

Alot of them swear by CrossFit, which I'm not really convinced about yet, especially judging from their almost cult-like mentality.

So far I've just adjusted my workouts. Switched to a strengh building emphasis with mostly compound lifts. Typical Starting Strength stuff: Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, Presses, and Power Cleans. I still can't talk myself out of doing some tricep, bicep, and trap work.

In addition to the weightlifting I'm trying to do as many bodyweight exercises that I can think of: pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, burpees, mountain climbers, frog kicks, etc etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

If it is simply to excel at the law enforcement tests then CF would be great... assuming you can find a gym that is somewhat reasonably priced and frowns upon the elitist attitude most CF's have.

Other than that, Wendler's 5/3/1 routine is good. Main compound lift + basic accessories. In and out in 40 minutes and lots of time/energy to condition after.

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

I'm in the same boat actually, working on switching careers into law enforcement, but i was horribly out of shape when i applied. You should be able to find the fitness reqs for whatever department/agency you will be applying to on their website. Work up to those if you cant do them already and then do a lot of running, pushups, and flutter kicks (as i've been told these are common PT activites during the academy).

I started learning brazilian jiu jitsu also. Its a great workout for strength and cardio and i figure knowing how to control people via grappling will be helpful. Its also much less boring than running, lol.

At any rate, you'll want to focus on conditioning moreso than being able to put up a lot of weight, at least in terms of getting through training.

4. Highlander

Highlander New Member

I was hoping that I'd be able to get by just doing the Workout of the Day at the gym I'm already at/in my garage. My gym recently hired a CrossFit trainer so we're supposed to be getting stuff like rings and more kettlebells and stuff like that. I looked into a local CrossFit affiliate and they wanted something like $900 for a years membership, easily 3x what I pay now. Plus they were really pushing all these certifications and stuff and I just didn't like the vibe I got.

This seems interesting, I'll look more into it.

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Unfortunately the majority of the gyms are like that

Heres where you can get Jim's e-Book
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976

You can prolly find it online if you look hard enough, but hes a good guy and its a well written book. Worth the money.

6. The Stapler

The Stapler OT Supporter

7. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

Quite a few people @ the crossfit gym I go to are cops and say CF is a great way to get in shape for the tests.

their are quite a few CF gyms where I live, check out a few and find one that fits you

8. mandrew

mandrew New Member

turned off by "cult-like mentalities" yet you want to go into LE :rofl:

9. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

10. Highlander

Highlander New Member

More like Dunkin' Donuts

11. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

A few of the SO trainees here got their hands on Defranco's "Built Like a Bad Ass" and are using that while in the academy ...

12. synthetic

synthetic New Member

one important aspect ignored esp when you ask on a bodybuilding oriented fitness site is cardio.

most police tests requirea 1.5mile run in under 12:30

13. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Oh definitely. I've got a copy of the PT requirements and I'm trying to train to max them out. I'm following CoolRunnings' "Couch-to-5k" training program to get in decent enough shape for the run.

Another concern that I have from the PT test is the Vertical Jump test. You've got to jump from a standing position straight up and try to touch as high as you can. Max score is 21.5" or higher. I'm not sure how much I can do but I'm pretty sure it's not quite there. Any suggestions for vertical jump training?

14. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

http://www.betterbasketballcoaching.com/Increase-Vertical-Jump.html

15. Yop

Yop New Member

If crossfit places are too much you can find a "Boot camp" style workout program (or class at your current gym). Most of the Law Enforcement requirements are close to what you get out of bootcamp, so I'd look into that.

16. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

Flexibility is important and will prevent injuries when it to defensive tactics time (both in class and on the road). Some of the bigger people in my academy struggle with flexibility and it is a huge hindrance to their performance in several different areas.

Stress training. This is huge. If I can find it I will show you an excellent heart rate chart that breaks down what happens to you in a life or death situation etc... Gross motor skills will be out the door, you may not talk right, you will get tunnel vision, auditory exclusions etc.. While its not easy to train for heart rates of 200bpm you can simulate higher then normal levels of stress. Training under those conditions is priceless and I cant emphasize it enough. It will come into play over and over ex: driving, defensive tactics, firearms.

Explosiveness and endurance. What good are you if after sprinting 200 yards you are so gassed out that you can barely communicate effectively let alone fight someone twice your size? You need to find ways to push yourself to limits you did not think you could push yourself too. Most fights last under a minute but when you could potentially be fighting for your life that minute feels like an hour.

Body weight exercises are great for core building and most don't require any special equipment so be creative.

17. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

Sprints, suicides, lunges, and plyo jumps will help this out. Just dont get under the impression that a leg press will get you those inches.

18. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

1) Cardio fitness. Start doing runs and work your way up to a pretty decent timed mile and maybe sign up for a few 5k's.

2) Crossfit would be good because it helps with flexibility and explosiveness. They also have you do many pullups in crossfit.

3) For the vertical jump thing just start working on your vertical. Mine increased a decent amount by doing extra calve work, box jumps, and spending 5min at the end of my workouts just working on jumping as high as I could.

19. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Yeah I always figured that the leg press wouldn't help. I need to build a decent box for box jumps.

20. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

21. The Stapler

The Stapler OT Supporter

fixed, for here anyway :rofl:

22. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Here is 14-15 min for the mile & a half, then push ups, sit ups and a sprint.

Anchorage PD used to have a really cool PT test that included getting over a wall, going up & down several flights of stairs, dragging a dummy, broad jump, sprint, etc, but not enough women could pass it so they dumbed it down.

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I assume it's a "pass once and you're golden" thing?

Some of the cops I see would die if they had to run 1.5 miles.

24. synthetic

synthetic New Member

once they pass the test.. they all let loose.. :squint:

they should make it a yearly thing

25. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

seems like steroids + strongman is the new hotness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.