Training for a specific test.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Bausk, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm going to be training for the State Police physical fitness test. Other than training exactly for what I am doing (pushups, situps, jumping, running), which I am already doing, what are some good exercises to specifically target and improve these activities?

I am already beyond the minimums for all of these exercises, but I am trying to greatly improve on the minimum to increase my standings in the applicant pool.

Minimum requirements are as follows...
    Verticle Jump: 17.5"
    Pushups: 30 in 60 seconds
    Situps: 32 in 60 seconds
    1/2 mile shuttle run: 4:29.6 seconds

basically looking for good routines for maximizing pushups, situps, vertical jump...

2. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

3. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

its great for general fitness, but this guy has a few specific goals...

30 pushups in 60 seconds is a fucking joke. you better pull off at least 60 if you want to even raise an eyebrow. I would be training to sets of 50-60, and not those pussy soft hip head low pushups. Do full chest to floor, that way if the test is more relaxed then you will be well prepared.

32 situps is also BS. Train with a 10lb med ball or plate and work to sets of 50-60. When you take the test without the plate, you'll knock that shit out.

The running and the shuttle run are just practice. Shuttle run is something like a 10 step drill or something, if done right, work on hip mobility and making low, quick, turns.

4. 4cd-Air

oh and vertical jump improvement is a lot of work that I don't want to type about

5. brettD

brettD New Member

dont think you should need much of a routine for a 17.5" vertical jump

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Don't train for those requirements, I've had a few friends go through police academy's, and they've all said it's hell. Those are the requirements to get considered, if you pass all the other stuff and make it to the academy expect to be doing 5 mile runs and several hundred push-ups at all hours of the day, just to start.

According to a friend the city police academy was, by week 5, running 10+ miles before the sun came up, doing 200-300 push-ups in the sprinklers, then sitting in a quite class setting all day, doing more push ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and timed track runs in the afternoon/evening, then repeating the next day. The friend that went through that academy said once he got to weeks 7 and 8 he was in the best shape of his life, but virtually everyone had some form of injury. After that they slowed down the pace a little bit and kept it constant and focused more on police stuff. He said those first two months or so it was hell, and they were just trying to get people to quit and wash out.

So I would set your training goals higher, then when you get there keep your mouth shut and be the grey man with your physical abilities.

7. 4cd-Air

I actually was thinking that, if he needs help with a 17.5" jump, I won't be the guy to take all that time.

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Actually I think the vertical is the least of my worries. Pretty sure I can make that easily without training it. I will eventually measure, but I know that I am 6' now an spike on a 10' volleyball net.

Like I said, I've already completed all the minimums, I just want to improve and be in better shape for the best results and academy. I'm going to start upping my pushup sets. I had been doing sets of 35, but not pushing myself to max out so now I will. I know I can do the abs, I usually train with weights and kettlebells when I do abs. And I just ran a quick half mile to see where I am starting from. I ran the first lap at the minimum pace (about 6.7 mph @ 1% incline), then upped the next 3/4 mile at 7.1 mph and finished the last 100m at 8.2 mph. Just to set myself for timing. I'm going to work on a steady, faster pace from here on it.

9. 4cd-Air

keep up with the kettlebell work too

10. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

when i was running a lot i got my speed up by running at 6.5 mph pace for 90 secs then 30 second sprints as fast as i could keep up on the tread mill or as fast as the tread could go then back to 6.5 for 90 for about 20 minutes before and after my weights and that shit got my speed up pretty quick a few years ago but i fucking hate running as of lately

11. 4cd-Air

all of your posts are a fucking train wreck, man. Learn to punctuate and shit.

Running on a treadmill is a horrible way to train for running outdoors.

12. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Technically, I think the test will probably be in a gymnasium. Or a parking lot.

I'm trying to split my running between treadmill (to gauge my pace, and with at least 1% incline), and running the neighborhood when I run with my dog. I'd run more outdoors, but I lost my Nike+ attachment so I've been running less outdoors.

13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Right now I'm doing it for 45 minutes on Saturdays before BJJ and Judo. Full body workout, rather than focusing on one area. It's the only weight training I'm doing right now, and I'm trying to focus on running and pushups/situps during the week in between work and school schedule.

I just pumped out 40 pushups and was tired, but not dead. I think I can work up to 60 in 60 seconds for the test.

I'm working on cutting weight too with my diet. I've been working out regularly for a couple years, but never care about my diet unless I'm cutting for competition. I think if I drop some weight all my numbers will improve just because I'm not carrying around extra fat. 6' 230 right now, have fought mma at 205 and done grappling competitions at 199.5 in the last year.

14. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

yeah i suck at that

15. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

16. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Maybe after this is over, if I don't go back to my regular routine.

17. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Are you sure the tests are actually graded based on performance?

When I took mine, it was either pass or fail so it didn't matter if you crossed the line first or last.

And that shit was a fucking joke.

18. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Not at all sure. In fact it is probably pass/fail. But I'd like to perform well, and be prepared for the academy if I get that far. It's a military style academy, so it's safe to assume we'll be running and doing sittups/pushups for hours in the beginning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.