MMA trainfightwin.com - questionable to say the least.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Nov 10, 2009.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

this is my post from sherdog, tell me what you guys think

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I ordered their DVD on Darce chokes a few months back and I was pretty satisfied. For instance, getting a darce choke when someone has your back was pretty nuts. I'm sure you'd never land it in a jiu-jitsu tournament, but I could see it happening in MMA.

My only experience with them is from the Darce DVD, so I'm not sure how good they are as a whole. Whether or not he is a credible teacher, which he doesn't physically appear to be, most of the technique seems pretty solid and creative.

I don't mind having Donkey Lips from Salute Your Shorts showing stuff. Fedor doesn't look too physically impressive either but we know what he is capable of.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

lmao.

no doubt that getting the darce from a back escape is plausible in both bjj and mma. But does it bother you that this guy is profiting off of dvd instructionals without having a credible competition record (or training background for that matter)?

For example, if I had 100 bucks to spend on dvds, and say I wanted to learn about the x-guard. I would most definitely choose the instructional made by the best grappler who can do it at a high level of competition (marcelo garcia). The guy who made this website even says that if people see flaws in his videos, then go release better videos. But, he also makes a bold claim that his style is an evolved form of all styles he learned and that it is the most efficient for mma (and that he is a black belt in mma) which I am going to go ahead and call bullshit on.

SOME of his videos he shows the technique correctly, but in others they are just done wrong. By wrong, I mean mechanically they will not work against a live resisting opponent.

4. teep

teep New Member

It's unfortunate, but that's what the sport is turning in to. Any douchebag can open a gym or come out with dvds with no real credentials. It's like when you see ads to get your bjj black belt online using videos.

5. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

the burden is turning more to the consumer to make an educated decision with his money to avoid deceiving marketing schemes

that's capitalism for you really-- we wanted options in the marketplace and now we are responsible for the decision making process

that being said, his explanation and walk-thru was pretty nice in that vid-- much better than some brazilian or spanish guys I've seen who you can't really understand

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Like I said, some of the things he shows in his videos are efficient moves, some are not. However the guy is not positioned to give advice as an expert. He is the equivalent of a bjj white belt posting videos online trying to teach other people. If you choose to pay him for instruction then so be it. I for one, will pass.

I guess its the same as... paying a morbidly obese fitness trainer for advice.