Trade two Plan. Audio 10s for an Xtant 12?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KGB ate my bread, Apr 7, 2005.

1. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

A friend has a Xtant A 12', that's 4ohm. My two PA 10's are 400w peak each, 2ohm. The 12 doesn't have a box though, and I'd have to buy one for it. My amp is a 400w 2 channel, 4ohm? amp, and I think it could do an ok job pushing the Xtant. I don't know the model numbers for either, and I'm not sure what the Xtant's peak and what not is. It's also about two years old, but in good shape.

Should I consider trading my two 10s for this 12?

2. denim

denim New Member

don't focus on the subs peak, worry about its rms and in many cases you do not need to push the sub to its rms

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah RMS isnt what you need.

RMS is just thermal right?

4. 04

04 Guest

RMS is just root mean square. Average power. But simply saying RMS doesnt specify how long that average is. Without a time constant and duty cycle, it doesnt mean much.

For instance, "1000 watts RMS" rating could mean the woofer could take 1000 wrms for 2 minutes, with a 20 percent duty cycle. Or it could mean that it could take 1000 wrms for 8 hours, with a 100 percent duty cycle.

The two woofers could both be rated for 1000 watts rms and not lying on that part, but obviously the true power handling would vary substantially for the two.

But yea, its measured thermally, as if it were measured mechanically, even meager woofers could take several thousand watts free air at say 500hz while being driven within their linear xmax range.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

you are a genius:)

:wiggle::p

6. 04

04 Guest

:rofl:

Not really a genius or anything. I just like reading a lot about how audio equipment works :o

I admit that I sometimes use too much technical jargon in my responses though :hs:

7. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Technical jargon is a good thing. I go on a quest figure out exactly what you said, and what it means. If you didn't use it, I wouldn't learn :p Thats really the main reason I visit this forum.

8. denim

denim New Member

i have been in many cases where there are subs in a well built enclosure and they did more than fine with less than 1/2 of the rms ratting,

I run my eclipse for daily needs at about 50% of the rms and they get loud and clean, there is a ton of signal sent to the amp though