Tracking email effectiveness

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redna, Jan 12, 2006.

1. redna

redna New Member

I'm looking to track the effectiveness of my html emails.... I dont want to include any scripts or anything that would get caught in the spam filters but i want to see how many people open my email. It's for an opt-in newsletter.

Would this work:

Insert an image into the html newsletter (a white 2X2px square or something) and put that into a secured folder on my server. The only use it would have is the email that I was sending so theoretically I could test how many people opened my email by how many times that image was downloaded right?

1 question though... if someone opened the email more than 1 time, would it count as 2 downloads or would it be okay because it's likely that the image was stored in their temp files?

Ideally I would like to track WHO opens my emails, but i'm settling for this because i dont know of a way to do that other than requesting a read recipt, so if you have any ideas PLEASE tell me how to do it.

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Most email programs now block images in HTML emails by default because of this.

3. redna

redna New Member

hrm, well is there a better way to do this?

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

don't send html emails. no one likes them

5. redna

redna New Member

thanks for the input.

my email list is OPT-IN and they WANT html emails... now how do i do it............

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

you dont. :ugh:

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You need an ESP (E-mail Service Provider). There are not many ESP's available right now but being that e-mail marketing is the "hot shit" right now there are a lot more ESP's popping up.

I use SilverPop as my ESP and distributor. It's a server specifically used to send and monitor e-mail traffic. It is capable of recording how many e-mails were bounced (hard bounce and soft bounce), how many e-mails were opened, which users clicked on which links in your e-mail, which users reported your newsletter as spam, which users blocked you, which users unsubscribed to your newsletter, which users deleted the e-mail, which users forwarded the e-mail, how many people actually received the e-mail and who those people are, supressed e-mails, users who subscribed to the e-mail, abuse complaints, change of address replies (default auto reply), and all mailing restrictions.

Just search google. Look around for a place. You'll find a place that will host you.

8. redna

redna New Member

Thank you! That's what i need.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Also, a lot of ESP's, including the one I work with, will terminate your account if you do not legally comply with the can-spam act of 2003. :o Time to bring out your law books.