Track event day two... new thoughts on the Spec-V

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Short Bus, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Anyway... DAY 2 impressions...

First session, same as the first day. Instructor was still amazed by the car's inability to rotate. Still disappointed I took it to an extreme and pumped the front tires up to 40 psi and rears at 32 psi, cold. I know for the fronts that getting to the point of overinflation when the tires heat up... but at that point I was more frustrated than concerned.

WOW!!! HUGE difference. While the car was still more sluggish to rotate than I would have liked... at least I was able to drive into turns with something resembling authority. I was locking up the inside rear and lifting it off the ground on a few spots on the track. The new pressures definitely improved my turn-in, no more ridiculous understeer while trailing in. I was also able to get on the throttle far earlier when coming out, finally got to make good use of that nice limited slip. The car felt a lot closer to neutral.

My lap times improved to the point to where the car was competitive with my old stock WRX running on the factory tires (suck). My opinion of the car has taken a complete 180 and my original thoughts on how this car should perform were correct.

The Integras in my class were no longer walking all over me, even if they were still faster with the stickier tires, suspesion upgrades, and engine upgrades. Had I some 225/45 Azenis I probably could have held pace with the one ITR on the track and perhaps given all the GSR's something to think about.

Overall, I had a much better day today.

So yeah... I'm going to ride these tires for a while longer on the street and get some Azenis before I run another event. My only concern with getting super stickier tires is that I'm definitely going to have to get more aggressive pads. The Bobcats performed admirably, and only really compained towards the end of each session... but I don't think they could handle too much more grip. I'm going to have to remember to bring my MityVac out next time because after about two sessions the fluid is ready to be bled, which is surprising because I'm running ATE Superblue. So over the course of a day the pads do good, but the fluid just wears out. I was getting some slightly irritating "fluid" fade by the third session. I think the temps are just getting too hot for it to handle because the brakes aren't exactly big.

2. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Damn, no Nissan nazis or track day junkies on board tonight?

3. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Nissan rocks.

4. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

It's still a shame, I think you would be much ahpper with an ITR.

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

ITR = $$$

I'm sure I'd really enjoy one though. But stock for stock, the Spec-V is roughly as fast.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

7. tekknikal

tekknikal Nothing's ever been better than that

where was this? background info?

8. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Little Talladega GP

Background on what? :confused:

9. tekknikal

background on the whole event.
    what was going on, how you got into it, etc.
    i'm interested in doing somethin like that too. too bad when i move i dont think ill be able to :(

10. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Not bad. I've noticed that on my VW daily driver as well. To push it, I need to keep the "warm" pressure at ~36 and monitor it immediately after hard runs to make sure the temps aren't off, corner to corner wise.

You might also try pre-loading the front suspension on turn in ( :ugh: ) which will piss a few instructors off, but it sadly works on most of the FWD cars that I've had the displeasure of driving :o :hsd:

11. Scoob_13

By the way, want to buy a 2003 VW Jetta GLI? :x:

12. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Ah, ok... it was a DE (driver's education) event. Which means you sign up, show up, and run the track with an instructor. I was in the advanced drivers group so the instructor was optional. I ran with him a few times, ran by myself a few times, ran with a friend in the car one time.

Best way to find them is to keep an eye out on any local car message boards. ...and figure out where the nearest road courses are and maybe call the track and see if you can't get a list of future events.

I take that back... best way is to start autocrossing and just ask around. Easiest way to get good information and make a few local contacts.

I was pre-loading on turn in. :) The instructor didn't say anything about it. Probably because I was in the advanced group and I've been on the track with this guy before, so he knows I've got some experience. :dunno: The thing was, before I adjusted the tire pressures when I tried that the car would just plow in. :( It liked it a lot more after I adjusted them though... especially going into turns where I wasn't full on the brakes.

I was going into the high speed sweeper that connected the back straight to another straight like that. Brush the brakes, turn in late whiel the front is still loaded, and hammer the throttle well before the apex. What a rush. :)

13. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

14. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

nah :)

I'd buy a GTi if I bought a VW. ...and even then I'd have to swap out the gearbox to get a limited slip in it.

15. tekknikal

you gotta have a relatively quick car to do it though, right?
    i mean, my sentra probably couldnt handle a track. in the fall im getting a g coupe and that should do it but i'm moving to the caribbean with it :sad2:

16. Scoob_13

I had an instructor tell me that I should never, ever pre-load it because I'd cause the rear end to lose traction, and I argued with him about it until he finally decided to drive and nearly plowed right off the track :o

I value those days :wtc:

Side note: My 951 will be up for sale (again) shortly - my Subaru dealer finally called me and said they'd match the offer I made on an STi with my choice of options :o

17. Scoob_13

Nope. You can run whatever, so long as you maintain proper passing protocol when everyone wants to pass you :o

What part of the Caribbean?

18. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Dude, my car is stock and I was running on craptastic Kumho 711's. I was the slowest guy on the track running with STi's, full race prepped cars, and a few modified Integra GSR's and Type-R's. You don't need a decently quick car to run at a DE event. The whole point of a DE event is to get anybody to come out and run. All you need to do is make sure your car is track worthy, which means fresh brakes, tires, and in good running condition.

Next time out I'm going to slaughter me some Integras. :) I'll be far better equipped with a few suspension upgrades and better tires.

Maybe there's a road course or something down there? :confused: :(

19. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Sounds like your instructor was an idiot. :o My instructor at this event has a turbocharged Miata. I ran with him one time while I still had my WRX. I ran away from him. :o ....so he knows I'm not too shabby. :)

Man, those STi's are fucking brutal, even with a poor driver behind the wheel. A friend of mine rode with one of them that was running in my class and he was telling me that he was really sloppy and inconsistent, but I was still waving him by every six or seven laps. With a good driver I'd love to see what one would be capable of.

How much for the 951? :o

20. tekknikal

i think id be too embarassed to run with my car :o

im going to st croix, usvi. the good part though is that the cops dont really care like they do here in the states,.. so i'll probably be able to use more of the car there anyway. but there are no real tracks on the island besides a 1/4mi so-called raceway although there are twisties and long straight aways on the east end (my cousin got a mk3 supra to 145mph there)

i cant wait till i get a better car...

21. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I couldn't live on an island... I'd feel trapped. :hs:

22. tekknikal

Well I got a 98 sentra gxe, in ok condition but the brakes and clutch need to be replaced. I'm not sure my car could even handle it right now without a good $1k invested into it. Even then I'd probably be the laughing stock of everyone there but I don't feel like putting any more money into it.

23. tekknikal

I dont mind but then again it's home. It definitely has its ups and downs. (women are ups) You just end up spending more money on vacations and entertainment out there.

24. Scoob_13

Your instructor sounds pretty cool. Mine was used to driving his early 80's 911, so I can see how he'd be worried about snap oversteer :o

I'm looking for around $10k or so for the 951. I had a couple of offers very close to it, however I really wanted to keep it. Plans have changed though, and the STi suits my goals, short term and long term, better than the 951 at the moment.

That, and with the 951 I keep wanting to rip the motor out and dump money at it :o

25. g1ock

g1ock Guest

:ugh: