Track Day tomorrow.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by golftdibrad, Jun 30, 2007.

1. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

'Tis my first one ever. Not new to driving near the limit as i'm an avid autocrosser, but still looking forward to it. Ill be in this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its an 87 VW cabriolet with:
    H&R sport springs
    GTI spec shocks
    OEM lower stress bar
    Full polyurethane kit, save the rear beam bushings
    1.8L 16V Engine swap
    Race header
    full 2.25 inch exhaust
    Euro intake camshaft
    No A/C or PS
    GTI short ratio trans.

I'll be trying to cord 2 sets of tires, some Yokohama's A048 race rubbers and the shit street tires that came on the wheels my Azenias are going on.

Any Advice for a first timer to the track? I have alot of guys i know but i'm real excited and wanted to get a different prospective. I'm bringing lots of tools and extra fluids, brakes have been very recently blead with racing fluid, new pads and rotors, engine oil changed... i think thats it.

I'll post pics as soon as/ if i get some.

So... am i forgetting anything?

-Brad

2. autobahn

autobahn New Member

most clubs around here don't allow 'verts at track days.

What pads did you get?

Bring lots to drink, you'll get dehydrated fast.

Also, take it easy. Lots of guys go out to track days and try to go balls to the wall right away and put their cars off the track. Work your way up to it.

Don't worry about anyone else on the track unless you're about to pass them (if there's contract passing). Just keep your mind on what you're doing.

3. autobahn

autobahn New Member

also, what track?

4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

interesting that cabrio wouldn't fly around here with BMW CCA. I think autobahn put it pretty well, there is nothing to do but take it easy your first time. Always listen to your instructor no matter what. You'll be amazed at how much faster you are by the end of the day. Typically I only film on day 2 of the event for that reason alone. I personally wouldn't run R comps for a while. Although autox teaches you car control in a much more controlled environment the sheer speeds of the track are overwhelming at first. I personally suggest running high performance rubber until you get to intermediate, hopefully by then you're experienced enough that the predictability of the street tire is not required.

This is my 2nd year doing DEs. Already done 3 (2 Day) events this year, looking to do another one at either VIR or Shenandoah circuit.

5. Eviloliv3

Eviloliv3 New Member

stay smooth. speed will follow and so will shorter lap times

6. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

Man that was awesome. I'll Have to get some pics of one of my r-comps. Went through the nylon, the rubber under it, the first steel belts, the rubber under it, and was working pretty hard on the second set of steel belts.

But it was fun. caught some Miatas's on my shitty street tires.

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Glad to hear you had fun, it's more addictive than crack :)

8. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

Well, most around here require a roll bar of some sort, even a factory one. This is also a track that does not not have timed events, because its pretty unsafe... it was stressed to not push the limit(too much:bigthumb:) and just go out, make some laps, have some fun. And that is what I did. It was also not wheel too wheel so we were doing alot of waving by in the approved passing zones.

oh, and a drank more than a gallon of water and was still thirsty. It was hot as shit.

EVOC State police training facility outside of Baton Rouge, LA
    http://www.evodrift.com/

Thanks for the advice (although i did not head it:x:). I think i did pretty well. I followed some of the best guys out there for a few parade laps, and got tips in the grid. Instructors were pretty thin so I let the 'greener' guys go out there with them.

Yea, its alot different than autox. GT4 playing helped. Stayed nice and smooth, felt myself get faster throughout the day.

R-compounds ARE CRACK!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a vid someone took around the track... taking it 'easy' b/c the car is for sale. Its MEAN.:bowdown:

http://media.putfile.com/June-30th-2007Ride-around-the-EVO-center-in-the-LS6-RX7

-Brad

9. Eviloliv3

Eviloliv3 New Member

looks like you had them aired up too much... did you have em at like 50 psi?

10. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

42. That is what works for autox. Keep in mind these were takeoffs when i finally got to them. May have been too much, but oh well.