tracing stolen T-Mobile phone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by slow_one civic, Jan 22, 2004.

1. slow_one civic

slow_one civic ULEV ownz me OT Supporter

Someone stole my E-715. Is there any way to catch him if he uses his SIM in my phone? :x:

2. El Beaner

El Beaner OT Supporter

Jsut tell T-mobile, you should have an ESN for the phone that is unique #. Only problem is that onyl Tmobile will have this so if he reactivates with Tmobile they will catch him. If the phone gets unlocked then he might be able to go to another carrier.

3. jhb123us

jhb123us Guest

Nope

Tmobile's phones are gsm, and they don't have an esn, they have an imei #. There is no way they can track that number. The sim card is the only part of the phone that can be traced. When a cell company activates a gsm phone the imei # is only used to track what make and model the phone is. They need to know this to figure out how much of a rebate to issue the dealers. I work for a cell company that deals with gsm phones, whenever I get sick of my phone and want a new one I claim it on insurance as stolen then turn around and sell it. I've done this a lot and no one has ever come back saying anything. Pretty much you're s.o.l. Next time put insurance on it.

4. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

Too bad this isn't enlisted here in the US. It wouldn't really help you out, but it would prevent anyone from using the phone. What they do in Europe is that they blacklist the IMEI and the phones that are on the list are rendered useless.

The key is insurance.

5. oakie

oakie my ninja.

imei's can be changed anyways.