Toyota Transmission Question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by nbiggershaft, Mar 11, 2008.

1. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

Hey my car has been in the shop for like 3 weeks now while the mechanic is looking for a used transmission in town. He talked about one tranny he found that ended having a cracked case so he sent it back. I found the one he was talking about online at a big salvage yard in town. So I was searching their website for more trannys and found a shit-ton of my transmission, but all in Camrys.

My car: 95 Celica GT
    Tranny: A140E

The same as in Camrys 83-01 according to Wiki.

So my mechanic keeps telling he can't find anything. So ,

1. Does he not know to look for Camry trannys?
    2. Do these trannys not fit in my car?
    3. Is he just not really looking?

2. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Could have a different bell housing :dunno:
    A lot of the maxima people take the 6-speed from the sentra SE-R spec V and use the gearsets and just swap it in to the maxima's 6-speed bell housing...same tranny, different housing...

3. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Hey, we have the exact same car. And I've done an auto to manual swap too. Yes, they are the same transmission. It also came in the 99 Solara so look for that too.

4. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

I talked to the mechanic today, and mentioned that it could come from a Camry and his response was that the salvage yards would know what fits, so I guess that is covered.

Dunno, he says he keeps having them check fluid and stuff and everything has either been black fluid, too many miles, or something crazy like a cracked case.

I found one online
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...hash=item350026248466&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

but the guy said buying auto-parts online is terrible idea, so I'm kinda stuck right now between wanting to believe him, and wanting my fucking car back.

5. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Well he's being ignorant. Camry and Solara trans are the same thing.

And I did all of my manual swap with online parts. Except for little springs and clips and stuff.

These guys helped me
    http://www.nix99.com/default.htm

6. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Get that one. Your mechanic is being too stubborn. I know several people that buy engines/transmissions online and none have had problems. That one looks to be in good condition and it even comes with a starter.