Toyota Supra MK3 - Is the mpg im getting good?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by makemedie, Dec 11, 2007.

1. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

I'm no car guy, so please excuse the naivety in this matter. I recently purchased a 1990 Toyota Supra MK3, completely stock, with 69,500 miles on it. Was a very good price too, $1550. My dad (he's a car guy, works at Land Rover down here), he drove the car before I bought it, and did a few regular checks and whatnot to make sure the car was good, considering the low price.

I just used a web based MPG calculator (I work in kms and litres here), and it seems that I'm getting about 22.7 MPG. Compared to every other car at our place (3 Nissans) it's horrible. Any suggestions on whether or not this is bad/good? And how to improve?

Oh btw, it's a 2litre 1G-GE engine. My parents wouldn't trust me with a faster/bigger car, which is fair, considering im 18.

Thanks.

2. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Considering the weak engine and the heavy car, it sounds about right.
    The engine has to work harder to move the car, so even though it's smaller than a 1JZ, it uses more fuel.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The engine doesn't have to work any harder than a big-block V8 would -- it takes the same energy to do the same work under the same conditions, no matter what the power source is. The amount of power required is a larger percentage of the smaller engine's total power output, though.

The biggest things that are going to affect gas mileage in-city are the weight of the car (which affects how much energy is needed to accelerate the car over and over again), and the displacement of the engine (which affects how much fuel gets wasted while sitting at stoplights).

On the other hand, the biggest things that are going to affect highway mileage are the car's drag coefficient (the smaller the number, the less energy needed to push air out of the way), and the maintenance of the drivetrain (if the axle joints are dry and the bearings are old and the transmission oil is shot, the car will waste energy fighting against itself).

The best way to calculate your real MPG is to fill up the gas tank, write down the name of the station and the pump number, and reset the tripmeter to 0. Then, when the gas tank is nearly empty, go back to the same pump at the same station and let it fill your tank to the top -- don't top it off. Divide the miles on the tripmeter by the gallon readout on the gas pump.

Anyway, the Supra is heavy, as noted, and it's also seventeen years old. 22.7mpg is the same mileage my old Mazda used to get, and it the same displacement, so I'm gonna say you're doing pretty good, all things considered.

EDIT: Thanks for not being a prick about how you should have gotten a hot-shit car for free from your parents as an 18th birthday present.

4. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

where are you from? In america I thought the MK3's came with 7mge or 7mgte's.

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Sounds to me like he is in Aussie land or something.

Also, considering that you are 18, you probably have a foot made of lead, so ~22mpg isn't that bad.

6. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

I'm in New Zealand. And I paid for my car by myself. Had to work through the entire summer holidays (that's christmas holidays) to save up for it. I tried finding a car that would atleast be remotely.. well.. "cool". I guess it's better than getting like, a very common car. The MK3 Supra is ultra rare here. Heh. :) I guess being 18 means I wanted SOMETHING that was a bit out of the ordinary?

Also, man, it's an auto, but I literally stare at my RPM guage when im driving, trying to make sure I dont go over 3000 revs :p Heh. Also, I drive in economy mode. That helps, maybe?

EDIT: Just realized I hadn't actually said anything about the replies...

I see, so I'm not doing bad? Wow. My brother's got a 1995 Nissan Silvia S15, NA, Auto, 2litre as well. He pulls about 28 easily in his car. Sure it's newer, and lighter, but that just makes me feel horrible heh. Any tips on increasing the efficiency? A professor at university told me "performance" spark plugs make a pretty damn big difference. My dad's getting me these "platinum tip" ones or something.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh and, I got nothing for my 18th birthday. Heh.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  7. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

hey dude, nothing wrong with wanting a car that is unique. I am going to be getting a 240Z partly because nobody else in the area has one. Hell, I haven't seen a single other 240/260/280 recently.

8. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Oh man, you wont believe this, but I have a stash of photos on my computer of 280zx's because they were my other choice if I couldn't get a Supra. Mind you, they're more expensive here, and my dad wouldn't let me buy a car that was entering the "vintage era", as he puts it. Also, engine sizes on those are even bigger, so for a student, I'd be screwed!

Totally share your love for the 240z's though. Hubba hubba indeed. (Maybe I should post a few pictures out of my little "stash").

9. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

I'm not a fan of riced up cars - AT ALL. But if it's modified to make it look.. well.. more genre specific (like musclier, or smoother, and not just the regular "omgzorz LOWRE IT!!!") then im cool with it. Check the following datsuns out! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next one is SO GODDAM BEAUTIFUL!?!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

the RB26DETT 240 is pretty nice. I don't think I'll ever be going that route though. The one I am currently picking up is a 3.0 Rebello. When that goes I'm going probably with a RB25DET

11. deusexaethera

22.7mpg = 10L/100km.

12. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Ahh, thanks.

Wow, just compared that to a few other cars here. That's actually not bad at all! I might do the spark plugs thing and see if there's anything else my dad can recommend.

EDIT: Sigh, just found out I have a water leak somewhere in the back. We suspect it's going in from somewhere around the lights, lot of water in the spare wheel bay. And the light holding compartment is wet on the inside. This sucks big :( Gonna try and fix this myself, gotta learn about cars someday..

13. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

this is a little misleading. It's possible that operating a smaller engine at a given power is outside of its ideal efficiecy range, whereas a larger engine may be able to produce the same power more efficiently.

and vice-versa of course...

14. deusexaethera

It sounds like the car was really well maintained. You might have gotten very lucky. Don't crash it.

15. deusexaethera

That's true, though to be fair, engines are so well-tuned from the factory nowadays that there really isn't an "efficiency range" anymore, not like there used to be with carbed engines.

16. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Yes sir, it sure was. Bought it from a couple who were both in their 60s. And they apparently purchased it from a Japanese man in his 70s, who happened to have purchased the car new and brought it over to NZ.

Everytime I wash the car though, I just wish I could have it repainted or something. All those tiny dings and stuff that you find in a 17 year old car.. dammit :(

This is my car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waL8U0KHd94

17. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Stop being stupid and read the damn context....
    I wasn't talking about work as in a scientific formula, I was talking about how much effort the engine is going to have to put forth.
    Just like if you and the worlds strongest man are lifting big rocks, even though you will both be doing the same amount of work, you're going to be putting a lot more effort into it than he will.

Same goes for his 2.0 6 cyl.
    It's going to have to rev higher and be under more load to do the same work as a 7M/1JZ in hauling that fatass car.

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

no.

both engines/people in your example are doing the same amount of WORK. The issue is that the smaller person/engine is having to use a larger percentage of the total power that they have available to them to do the same amount of work as the larger engine/person.

19. Sarge21

there absolutely is. lookup a brake specific fuel consumption chart.

20. deusexaethera

Dude, what do you think the engine is doing? Work, as in scientific work. Yes, you're right that the smaller engine has a smaller maximum workload that it can handle, I already agreed with that. There is nothing to argue about here, except maybe that you think relative workload is more important than the absolute workload. The relative workload doesn't matter from the perspective of fuel efficiency, which is what the OP was asking about, because it takes the same amount of gas to do the same amount of work.

21. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Let's review the meaning of context, since you obviously can't figure it out.
    Context - the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect.

Like I already said, I wasn't referring to scientific work, I was referring to effort. It's a common use of the word. If you read the entire sentence, the context is obvious.

Thanks for repeating what I said. Go back and reread what you quoted.
    They both do the same amount of work, the smaller has to expend more effort to do the same amount.

Not quite.
    The same amount of gas has the same energy potential.
    How efficiently the engine [and drivetrain] transforms that into motion determines how much work AT THE WHEELS you will actually get out of that amount. Which is what matters, not how much work potential it has.
    100% of the fuel injected into the cylinder isn't burned. Whatever isn't burned is lost. Which means less work, and wasted fuel. Which means less gas mileage.
    Combustion chamber design, and ignition timing also effect how much of that potential energy is actually used.
    In addition to that, how efficiently the engine transforms the heat of combustion to movement effects the difference in potential to actual.

A smaller engine will not automatically be worse at this than a larger engine, but smaller engines tend to be designed to maximize power at higher RPMs that larger engines, even with all the technological advances we have [though the engines in question were designed in the mid 80s, so not quite so technologically advanced as today].
    With higher RPMs tends to come more of a throttle angle.
    Which means greater load.

Higher RPMs + greater load = more fuel usage.

It isn't automatically true every time you compare different sized engines, but it's a good generalization.

22. Sarge21

thanks for reposting what i already said

23. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

:rofl:

I didn't see your post.

Besides, you didn't take the time to type it out.

24. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

To try to get this back on topic, I'd kill for nearly 23MPG in my supra. My 87 N/A Auto with the 7M gets around 16 with mixed city and highway driving. However I have a lead foot 2-3 times per fill up so that doesn't help, but thats a huge difference.

25. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

alltrac, that was at 1:40 in the morning, and I woke up at like 7am that day, my apologies :o