Toyota Sued

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bernice, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Did anyone read last week in the Dow Jones Newwire about Toyota being sued for defective tires? Do you think Toyota is slipping in the quality of their products?

Traditionally, auto makers do not take direct responsibility for the integrity of tires on a vehicle, instead leaving the tire maker responsible to back up quality. However, a high-publicity recall earlier in the decade involving Ford Motor Co. (F) and Firestone brand tires put more emphasis on an auto maker's responsibility for a tire design's compliance with the overall performance of a vehicle.

Traditionally,
    Toyota is known to have industry-leading quality, but has been criticized of late by competitors for having less focus on vehicle dependability and more recalls than ever before in the U.S. In September, General Motors Corp. (GM) product planning vice president, John Smith, said in comments to Reuters that Toyota has slipped in quality leadership.

2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

that's waht happens....when toy's werebeing built in Japan...bulletproof quality...now they build some of the line in North America and shit goes down the drain.

I'm so glad my runner was built on the island...

3. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Toyota seems to be having a lot of this lately, they were also sued over the transmission design used in the Prius a month or two ago, rough times for them.

What does where a car was built have to do with quality?

4. Derek

Derek OT Supporter

There are different quality control standards over in Japan than there are here in the U.S. From what I've heard and read, a Toyota assembled in Japan will typically have fewer problems than one assembled here in the U.S. :dunno: I'm just glad my 4Runner was assembled over there, I'm on my second one and still zero problems so far.

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The reason vehicle manufacturers can get into some trouble over tires is because they give the tire manufacturers specifications on what the tires must support, speed rating, operating conditions.

The tire maker then comes back with the tire and gives the automaker the advised pressure. Many surmised that was one of the major issues with the Ford/Firestone fiasco.

Ford gave Firestone specs. Firestone returned with a tire and Ford promptly set the air pressure to 26psi.
    Firestone said that wasn't enough to handle the loads. Ford didn't listen...people died.

Firestone released an advisory telling people to set them to 30psi at a minimum. People who ran with high enough pressure didn't seem to have as many problems.
    I ran a set of the recalled tires on my old S-10 for 2 years without issue. I kept them set at 35psi.

6. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

My american built tundra is problem free.

2003 extended cab 2wd Trd off road.

7. babyboomerlady

babyboomerlady New Member

OUR tundra 2001 is Great ..

8. kkrazykkarl

kkrazykkarl New Member

my 2005 tundra double cab is the shit!!!!!!! bullet proof and fast

9. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

My 96 Tacoma is still autocrossing strong. Damn thing refuses to die.

10. Bernice

Bernice New Member

I don't think that you can blame North America. American automanufacturers build fine cars. Toyota has unequal stamdards for their employees over here than American car companies do. I think Toyotas built over here are poorly done because they are hiring unqualified workers that should not be on the line.