Toyota Mr2

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by energie, Mar 30, 2007.

1. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

Hey I was wondering what your opinions are on them.

theres one selling that im interested in looking at, only concern is that its mid engine and im not mechanically inclined..

will it be a pain in the ass or good

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You know, some specs on the actual car you're looking at would help. The MR2 has been around for a while now.

3. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Just because it's mid-engined doesn't mean servicing it is like servicing a Ferrari. It's pretty much like a front-wheel-drive car with the engine at the wrong end.

4. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

yes, specs of the car would help. other than that, its spin happy :wiggle:

5. spirited driver

spirited driver New Member

Depending on the job, on my 92 turbo the timing belt and even the water pump required dropping the engine... But I'd own one again in a heartbeat.

6. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Yeah...not so much on the FWD comment. About servicing, if you're doing it yourself the engine compartment is a BITCH. The 5SFE and the 3SGTE are really in a tight spot back there. They are kind of hard to work on, but I am not saying not worth it.

It's only spin-happy with an inexperienced driver in the seat. It is a well balanced little car, and can do great things within it's limits. It's just when a driver lacking experiences tries to push it outside the limit, it'll spin, but that goes without saying. That's the only reason it has that track record. Also, younger drivers snatch them up because of the lightweight, import, rear drive, turbo...etc.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

What year? MKI or MKII or MKIII??!?!? All are very very different.

I just got a deal on an 86' MK2 not 5 hours ago. No joke, test drove it and we had a deal. Trading the guy my 93' Nissan Altima.

Motor has all new seals/gaskets, new brakes (4-wheel disc), new tires, new struts, new alternator, new distributor, new speaker system, A/C blows cold and there is NO RUST! Interior is clean. He's got receipts for everything, and has put $4,600 into the car. I'm trading straight up for my STOCK Nissan.

Can only say I am ecstatic. It drives great, 5-speed manual btw, and everything works like it's supposed to. Seriously the cleanest MKI I've ever seen, and he's practically giving it away.

8. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

werd. heard a lot of stories of spinouts on the sw20. i havent spun out yet, been driving it for a few years now. although, its more balanced with 245s in the rear.

oh and 4W4K3, are you on mr2oc? congrats on the pickup :hug:

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

sure am, same name as here :bigthumb: i have yet to pick it up, waiting on the guy to find the title :wtc: but he's contacting me daily with updates and assuring me it will ahppen soon, he is anxious to get his daughter a car and knows i'm anxious to get the 2 :x: great guy

10. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Just pay attention to 5th gear.

It likes to pop out on higher mileage ones.
    Good trade though.
    IMO well worth it assuming the body is solid. :)

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Yah someone else told me that as well. I'll have to watch it. Any known fixes? I'm planning on installing a short shifter from twosrus.com in the near future

12. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

I don't remember off the top of my head, but it should be either the shifter [there's plastic "locks" on the bottom that keep it in place] or the synchro ring.

Hopefully it's the shifter. :big grin:

13. hdizzo

hdizzo New Member

Awesome and fun car to drive, very easy to service which it has the same engine as a 99-05 celica (non-gts model). The only downside is the luggage space, looks, and the price. Dealerships over here in california still ask for $15,000, which the bluebook price is usually around 11k

14. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I used to have an 1986 MR2 back in High School. I REALLY miss that car. 200,000 miles when I got rid of her :wtc:

15. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

00 - 05 Celica.
    The 99 still had the 5SFE or 7AFE.

It depends on the year man.
    You do know it had 3 different generations, right?
    86? - 89, 90 - 99, 00 -05/06?
    With 5 different engines.
    4AGE/4AGZE/5SFE/3SGTE/1ZZFE

16. PooJou

PooJou New Member

What is the go with you americans and crazy MR2 engines:

There should have been:
    AW11 - 4AGE or 4AGZE
    SW20 - 3SGE or 3SGTE

One is square, one is swoopy

MR-S doesn't count in my books :)

So which is it? Then we can start the discussion

17. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The engines are the same except for the MkII non-turbo MR2. Cause I don't think the 3S-GE ever came in any car sold in North America, they always substituted the 5S-FE (well as far as I know). But it's not a completely terrible thing, as the 5S-FE for all its mediocre performance is an incredibly durable engine.

18. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

I have a 1991 MR2 with a Gen3 swap. I'm on the fence about the car honestly. It has been an awesome car for me no doubt but shit someone just offered me 13k dollars for it. Which is a shitload for a 1991. But.... I have no idea what i would get if I sold it. I hate to be one of those people who thinks whatever they own is gods gift to cars but, anything that in my opinion, is as fast, looks as good, and is as uncommon is gonna be quite a bit more.

Also my boss, coworker and good friend is pretty much the shit at these cars. He drove to the track ran 10.7 at 143mph on street tires and drove home. He is pretty much one of the smartest people I know. Not your typical car guy. An engineer by trade and could give two shits about the typical nutswinger types. But I like the fact that he can help me out if need be. He is the one who did my motor swap for me.

Last time at the track I trapped at 110mph. and I have put 25 thousand miles on this motor without a hickup. I boost regular 1.35 bar on stock ecu with breathing mods and Methanol injection. This car surprises a lot of people. I hate the MR2 forum with a passion though. It's 99% people giving advice that have no bussiness doing so. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I come from a all honda background and this car is versy simalar to an FF car. My buddy that I mentioned above has a lift which helps a lot tho. Sorry for the long ass post.

19. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Which forum? I've had nothing but excellent help over at www.mr2oc.com . Honestly the best car forum I've ever joined, people who give advice often times have owned a car exactly like mine in the past, or have owned SEVERAL of my car. Many MR2 guys buy one, build it up, buy another, and another, and another, etc. Talked to several people who are on there 4th or 5th MR2 project.

21. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

bringing back a dead thread, but i have owned 3:

85 NA
    91 NA
    91 Turbo (current)

mechanically, it's not so bad. replacing the turbo sucked, but i just got done with the clutch and that really sucked. i have owned other cars and i have to say that i love MR2s the most out of all cars i have driven/owned.

22. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

23. PooJou

PooJou New Member

Do a 3MZ conversion - 3.5litre V6 ftw!

you've owned all the good ones too - aw11 and all!

24. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

it would be fun, but can't afford. damn car is a money pit as it is, hence why i got a bike so that i don't try to throw more money at my car. i have my fun right there.

25. PooJou

PooJou New Member

You're not enjoying it till you're throwing money aimlessly at it :ugh::mamoru: