Toyota chases Tundra camshaft failures

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by team_jew, May 29, 2007.

1. team_jew

team_jew New Member

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...ANUFACTURING/70525073&SearchID=73282450559922

:rofl:

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

roofles

3. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

all lies and propoganda. imports never have problems :noes:

4. JAFAR

JAFAR FPS whore OT Supporter

Well at least they're doing the right thing for the customer by giving them a brand new engine if the camshaft breaks.

5. heebdawg16

heebdawg16 New Member

Honda > Toyota

6. nuclear

nuclear OT Supporter

but, but, but Toyota is awesome, domestic sucks

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Yeah. And the fact that domestic manufacturers do the same thing means they build pieces of shit.

Double standard, much?

So, besides cams and ball joints, what other problems have the new Tundras had?

8. nuclear

nuclear OT Supporter

It's not just the Tundra, Toyota recalled something like 1 million vehicles last year. :mamoru:

9. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

roofles x2

10. jelloslug

jelloslug OT Supporter

In the next 20 years Toyota will be the next GM, resting on it laurels as the "Premier world car maker" and slowly let everything that put them there slip away.

11. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

The problem is that in much of America there is a perception that Toyotas are better cars than the domestics.

One of the assumptions there is that they "never break".

That is not true, and this demonstrates that. However, whenever those of us who support domestic manufacturers (for various reasons) point that out using these kinds of stories and JD Powers numbers, there are many excuses and reasons given by those who believe that "Toyota = bestest" without conscious evaluation.

GM has been the whipping boy for ricers for years, despite clearly improving quality, ease and low price of repairs, lower purchase price, and clearly demonstrated economic reasons for "buying american".

It's nice to see that now that Toyota is the world's largest automobile company the free ride is ending.

12. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Most GMs still come with cheap, shitty interiors and bland exterior styling, that has always been my problem. They need to make 1971 Chevelles again. I loved mine.

GM is getting better but c'mon, shit like the Malibu won't help them win over people who buy imports. The '08 Malibu is what the last redesign should have been.

13. 2DR Vette

2DR Vette We don't freestyle the Eyes of Texas, Big Boy.

I remember something about Toyota recalling more cars than Chevy sold altogether (or some such stat). :mamoru:

14. nuclear

nuclear OT Supporter

Well if Chevy sold less than 1 mil, that would be correct. :o

15. Eskimo Yo-Yo

Eskimo Yo-Yo absent OT Supporter

new engine? :coold:

16. 10dementianal

10dementianal OT Supporter

doubtful

17. herpes

herpes OT Supporter

:hsugh::hsugh::hsugh:

18. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I'm not arguing against that at all.

I'm simply pointing out that Toyota is not infallible, and that the phrase "you get what you pay for" apparently doesn't apply in the automotive world since people expect to pay less money for a Chevy but expect Toyota materials.

It seems fairly obvious to me that if you expect to pay ~18,000 for a Chevy and ~24,000 for a Toyota that are equipped similarly you are getting cost cutting somewhere, but apparently not everyone thinks like that.

I'm particularly not arguing against the '71 Chevelle, although I prefer the '68 myself.

You can't tell me that modern materials, modern building methods, and current technology couldn't yield a muscle car body style with modern stats (economy, handling, stereo, etc.)

Can you imagine something that looked like a '70 chevelle, but with a 300 HP DOHC V6 and the ride and interior of the 2006 GTO? And GM's 100k warranty?

What's not to like?

19. Mercury

Mercury Guest

What a joke of a statement. Until Honda makes something now like Toyota did - oh i don't know - ten f*cking years ago (The Supra Turbo), they will never - ever - be considered as good.

The can't build trucks worth a fuck; their design sucks ass; they build cheap cars.

20. slt

slt OT Supporter

21. team_jew

team_jew New Member

Look at the obnoxiously-oversized speedometer and center stack controls, complete with faux alumium trim and design compliments of Sony's Dream Machine:

[​IMG]
    Camry XLE console. Note yellowed uglified cheap wood trim.

[​IMG]
    Camry SE console. Yes, it can get worse.

Just look at all the cheap and hard plastics. But since this is Toyota we are talking about, most people assume they get their plastics from god almighty himself. Not only that, every vehicle in Toyota's lineup uses lots of hard plastics just like the Camry. You should goto a dealership and see it for yourself. It's really funny when you read a review on a Toyota vehicle, the review will say something to the fact, "Great placement of sturdy plastic. This will easily prevents surfaces scratches." :mamoru: It's a huge double standard.

The only Toyota that really lives up to the hype are the Lexus products. The IS and GS are really sweet cars.

22. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

Toyota can eat my ass corn. This is their fucking THIRD ATTEMPT at building a fullsize truck and they still dont have it right. I'v owned them all, and i think my ford and dodge were the best. My chevy's been real good to me but i think i'd prefer another dodge or ford before i buy another chevy. Solid axle for the win.

23. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What the hell does the weight you're towing have to do with whether you snap a camshaft? Camshafts aren't load-bearing parts. I don't think I'd take my car to that mechanic after reading that one little blurb.

Btw...Mazda > Toyota.

24. Don't camshafts bear the load of the valve springs trying to twist them back to the base circle? And don't they bear multiple loads from multiple valve springs at the same time?

Also... ROFL at Toyota.

25. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, they do, but that load does not vary with engine speed or throttle position. The one mechanic dude said "I've seen other people towing 10klbs with no problem, but this guy wasn't towing anything and his cams broke." The cams don't bear the load that the crankshaft does!