towing ability f150 vs jeep

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by giblit, May 30, 2004.

1. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

ok im either going to buy a 97 f150 4.6L 5 speed (old forestry truck) or any jeep i can get my hands on defently going to be 6 cylinder 5 speed. i know the f150 will out tow the jeep in every which way but how better will it be and will it be able to tow a drift boat to the lake or tow a quard of wood or 4 wheeler from california to oregon. i basically want to know the towing ability of both vehicles.

2. rebel

rebel Manchester United > All

F-150 would probably have better towing.... but everybody loves a jeep.

3. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

a jeep wrangler. i was just wondering because i like to go off road alittle, not much but whenever im not workin.

4. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

A Jeep Wrangler can be a pain towing with their short wheel base... Towing a single ATV, a SMALL boat or a cord of wood with a Wrangler should not be a big deal. Obviously the F150 can handle that and more.

5. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

yea but will there be any issues with the clutch with towing anything because ill probably be towing stuff about 2 times a month and my auto teacher told me i might need to get a grabber clutch.

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

A grabber clutch??? If you know how to drive a manual shift car CORRECTLY you will not have a problem...If you don't know how to drive them correctly GET AN AUTOMATIC! (and not a JEEP)

So are you more worried about getting a jeep? A manual shift? Or having to actually tow something????

Put it simply, the jeep is harder to tow with and does not have the capacity but will work for what have listed IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT (The clutch AND the short wheel base). The Ford manual should be able to tow over 5000#'s without any problems IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT. If you want to tow more or don't know how to correctly drive them, go get yourself an automatic pickup. life will be good and you will not even need to worry about a trailer for what your looking at hauling!!

7. chandojmc

chandojmc New Member

The 4.6 in the Ford will actually seem underpowered in comparison to a 5-speed jeep...especially if it is an old forestry truck, the fleet trucks usually have 3.55s or higher (lower number) gearing, thus acceleration would be down and gas mileage would be up. What year model is the Wrangler?

8. AirForceOne

AirForceOne Guest

I'm sure the Jeep could handle a 4 wheeler in tow just fine, but I would go for the F150 for the longer wheelbase.