Towing a small boat with a coupe!! Help!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by palbanes, Jul 4, 2006.

1. palbanes

palbanes New Member

I am considering towing a small 16' boat with my Saturn SC1. I have a class I hitch on it and want to tow a small 16' trihull boat. Saturn lists the towing capacity of the car at 1,000lbs but I think the boat and trailer may be 500lb over that limit. My question is, with very careful driving will I be able to tow the boat and pull it out of the water without breaking parts? It's a 5-speed and has new brakes

..serious replies please... my main concerns are the brakes... if I brake very cautiously will I be okay? and will I be able to pull the boat out of the water with FWD and a little clutch slipping?

2. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I'm no expert at this but are sure about the weight of the boat and trailer? What kind of boat is this? Is it like an empty paddle boat? My friends has a 18' I/O boat and his weighs close to 6000lb. I'm trying to wonder what a 1500lb boat would look like. But if its over the capacity I would not even try it. Maybe and thats just an exteme maybe I can see you tow it down the street but facing any type of uphill battle you are just going to rip the shit out of your saturn.

3. Geoffman72

Geoffman72 Rotary/Boxer Owned

What on earth has your buddy got in that to weigh 6,000lbs?! I've got an early 80s 20' Chaparral bowrider with fiberglass encased wood for the floor/stringers/transom and its only about 2500lbs off the trailer.

4. s2k

s2k OT Supporter