MMA Tournament this weekend

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by d0nk3ypunch, Mar 31, 2006.

1. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Tomorrow I'm headed to Little Rock AR for a grappling tournament.

I'll be doing mens no gi, 190lb, novice (<2 years)

I hope I do better than I did in october, hah.

2. scrot 'em

scrot 'em New Member

:coold:

Good luck. Take videos!

3. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

no video camera :(

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

you should find a way to get one.. youll regret not having footage of your old tournaments later

5. scrot 'em

scrot 'em New Member

Find a way!!! Even if it's just a friend with a digicam filming on video mode.

6. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Just got back home... had two matches, lost both.

1st match, not much I can say here, the guy was simply better than me. He got the takedown, landed in side control. I gave him the mount (i can escape the mount well, I have hell from side control), I rolled him finally, as soon as his back hit he mat he went for an armbar. I was able to stack him and get my arm free, the moment it came lose however, he transitioned to a triangle and finally got me to tap. I talked to him later, really cool guy, he ended up winning 1st in the division.

2nd match was to determine 3rd and 4th. Again, he got the takedown and landed in my guard. I kept trying to break his posture so I could work rubber guard, and in response he leaned WAY back. So i did it a couple more times and finally got a situp sweep... and we landed off the mat. We had to restart in the center... with him in my guard.

He finally passes, rolls me over and takes my back, he tried like hell to choke me with no hooks in, so that was easy to defend, I managed to trap a leg, and I was going for a kneebar the moment I got my neck free. I reached up to grab his arm... the ref thought it was a tap and called the match. He came up to me later and apologized a lot, oddly enough I wasn't pissed, shit happens, he has to look out for safety first, so it was cool.

I'm pretty happy despite losing twice, one guy was simply better, and I'm pretty certain I would have eventually caught the second guy in something.

One thing is for sure, I think this is the last one I attend without someone else from the dojo... not having someone to coach me from the sidelines sucks, especially when every one else has this.

7. Placebo

Placebo New Member

You'll keep getting better. Sounds like you need to work on some takedowns though.

8. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

good puttin it out there chum, more than I can say

9. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

dont worry about losing in these things... the only time you have to feel bad from a loss is when you didnt give everything you could. but look at your holes, and try to patch them up.. learn to escape from side control for example.

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I agree that the video camera would help a ton. And also having nobody in the sidelines giving you tips is a huge disadvantage, my first tournament ever was like that and needless to say was hard. What's more important is that you keep competing, the experience is priceless.

11. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I think that takedowns are the single biggest hole in my game. I go out there knowing I can't get the take down, and just hope I can control the other guys takedown well enough to land in a not so bad position. I have been training judo alot though, and trying to work throws into my game, I'm getting decent with this, but it needs more work.

And side control... I just need to work the hell out of that with some guys who are good at it, I just hate that position so much.