MMA Tournament Survey

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by FloppyCock, Apr 4, 2006.

1. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

There have been many tournament threads lately, and I have recently participated in a submission grappling tournament. I was disspointed in the way it was run, and was wondering how many people shared my sentiments.

How many of you compete in tournaments?

For those who do, what do the tournament organizers do right? What do they do wrong?

For those who don't, why not?

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I don't because I'm not that good and I don't like getting hurt. The only time I allow myself to get hurt is in training when boxing w/ a partner or just training to learn how to take a kick/punch and keep going.

If I was into wrestling/BJJ I'd compete because it would be more fun... Not in muay thai though. I've been kicked in the head and elbowed in the nose before and I'd rather not have it happen again :bigthumb:

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I try to compete whenever there is one semi-close to where I live. Things that were poorly run in NAGA i thought were the small number of mats for the huge number of people that attended. It literally took the entire day (12+ hours) for everybody who came with me to finish competing. Waiting = not fun. The good part I liked about it was the lenient rules in no gi, and decent refs.

There was another tournament I did after that... I thought it was poorly run in that the matches for one division were not consecutive (Every 2 matches, the division above us would have a couple matches, and we would go after that). Again the rules were good so I am not complaining.

4. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

To the rest of The Cage, I would like your opinion, regardless of whether or not you compete. In fact, the reasons why you don't compete are just as important to me as the reasons why you do.

5. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I mostly don't compete because I'm a big pussy, also I don't know the point system or anything and really don't follow comps. :dunno: I really should go roll around

6. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I've been to 4.

The biggest I went to started very late, I think my division was 6 hours late starting. The most recent I attended was very on time, they didn't allow walk-ins however, you had to pre-reg. I very much appreciated this.

The only problem I had with a ref was at my most recent, he thought I was tapping when in fact I wasn't, but mistakes happen, I'm glad he stopped it early rather than late.

Well, I did get bitched at when I went to a judo tournament for not standing upright, but that's another story :)

all in all though, I can't say i've had any horrible experiences. I've heard bad things about naga, which I'm doing in may... so we'll see.

7. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I go to any in my area. There's a big one coming up in 2 weeks and I plan on entering all 4 divisions.

8. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

What would it take, as far as tournament formats go, to get you non-participators in?

Would a double-elimination make it more attractive to you (so, at the very least, you wrestle twice)? More skill divisions?

9. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i havent had too many problems with tournaments besides just one.. my division is usually one of the first.. so its easy for me. my friend on the other hand had like almost an hour in between fights.. that was messed up