Tough choice on next car

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by vstratos, Nov 28, 2003.

1. vstratos

vstratos People believe what they want to.

I have about 9k saved up and have been looking for a decent car. I've been thinking about trying to find a '99 civic si. First thought about an eclipse, but I've heard too many stories of them not being too dependable. Any suggestions ?

2. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

99-2002 impreza 2.5 rs

3. vstratos

Hmm, subaru never crossed my mind. Always thought they were a bit more expensive. Looking for something fun to drive and with lots of aftermarket parts to add on in the future possibly.

4. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

What kind of car do you want? 4 door? 2 door? 4-seater? 2-seater? AWD, FWD, RWD? Lots of power, good looks, or a good mix of both?

With that budget, an awesome power and handling car would be a turbo MR2. For an economy car to haul friends around in a Honda Civic or Impreza, maybe a Nissan. For rice.....you have a HUGE selection ;)

5. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

get a 4th gen maxima 5spd

6. Dr.EtNiEs

Dr.EtNiEs Guest

after i got my car i seen a load of A4s for so cheap . theremint

7. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

the 2.5's can be had for around 10k, many times less

8. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

depends on where you live... :hs:

9. vstratos

Pretty sure I want a 2 door. Something fun to drive. Not drive to work everyday in.

10. BigBADGSX

BigBADGSX New Member

what kind of things are you going to expect from the car?? do you want awd/rwd/fwd?

11. vstratos

fwd is fine... awd would be nice... and not many rear wheel drive imports are there ?

12. jjsteine

jjsteine Guest

mk3 supra is in your price range they are great cars, except for the whole blown head gasket thing, turbo rwd and look sweet.

if you really want a fun, fast, awsome looking car look hard for a toyota celica All-trac awd turbo 3gste motor that is un-fuking belivable.

subaru's and civics just cost way too much money to make fast, i run my own shop so i know i have people coming in wanting their 95civic to push 12's, and only have like 2g's. you have to swap the motor, and thats costly. subarus just suck imho.

13. BoNgBlAzE

BoNgBlAzE New Member

buy my lexus sc400

14. vstratos

Well , seems I have decided to go with a '99 Mustang SVT Cobra( 8k). Has some damage on the front that is easily fixed. 50'000 miles ... so guess I'll be leaving the import scene. =)

15. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

is 99 the current body style or the previous one?

16. vstratos

Pretty sure it's the first year of the current one.

17. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Mustang = good choice :cool:

18. Ruination

Ruination New Member

2.5rs, very reliable, fun to drive, AWD, lots of potential, great in any weather condition, can be had in 2 or 4 doors.

Just my $.02

19. I'm in a similar situation... except my budget is closer to 12,000 (selling my miata and moving on). I want a coupe (must have backseat though), manual, look good, fun to drive, and gotta be reliable. I'd also like to stay relatively new ('98+). Cheap insurance is a plus too.

So far on top of my list is an Impreza 2.5RS coupe but they are impossible to find. Any other suggestions? I'm tossing around the idea of an integra GSR but I'm not sure.

My situation is this: I've taken a job away from school (co-op) so I'm going to be doing a fair amount of travelling back and forth btwn home, work, and school (so need a halfway decent highway car) and I also need it to be reliable (can't be bogged down with a lot of problems and high costs). I'd like a little more room too so that I can carry people and things when the need arises (hence why I'm moving on from the miata).

Currently I own my 2000 miata and an '83 RX-7. I'm gonna keep the RX-7 as my toy and my sports car (it'll stay at home with the folks). I was using it as my daily but its not the most reliable thing in the world and I don't want to take it on a lot of highway trips. The miata has been a blast but owning two 2-seaters just isn't really a good idea anymore.

So, 2.5RS, Integra, what else?

20. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

For 9K you could get a 98-99 LS1 Z28 and be faster than any of the pile of shit imports listed on here will ever be.

21. Insurance companies typically don't like 20 yr old males to have big V8's :hs:

22. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

Please, rate an LS1 next to a Civic Si and you'll see that they aren't too far off.

23. DelNilppez

DelNilppez Guest

I had a 93 prelude Si and now own a 94 Mustang GT...the lude was only a slight bit less to insure.

Good choice btw...you're definetly gonna have more fun in the Cobra than any civic you'll find. (not trying to start anything)

24. Woah, are you serious? Is this because of the theft risk of the si? If this is true than I stand corrected.

25. 900stunna

900stunna Guest

It's due to the risk of teenagers wrecking cars, a new vette is cheaper to insure than a Z28 for this same reason.