Touch Screen Kiosk Software?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pussysmith, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I want to try some touch screen kiosk software where my customers could order meals on touch screen and then it gets sent to a printer. So no internet really just a network connection to the printer. Also, freeware is best since I am just trying. Any help?

2. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

3. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Not gonna happen.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

no way will you find this shit for free. Except to pay thousands per year for licensing fees/keys.

5. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Maybe something like this:

(google searched "free kiosk software")Netshift 6.1 "It allows users to operate a Web browser easily, either in atouch screen information kiosk or on a corporate intranet. Sitting on top of and controlling the Web browser, it enables novices to browse in a safe, controlled, and intuitive manner. NetShift is designed to be fully secure in unsupervised access applications and features extensive built-in security…"

And/or you create a local website with pictures they can click and it goes to a shopping cart that they can submit/print and they get their order number etc.

6. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

run IE in kiosk mode (-k) make interface in HTML/javascript. tada, free kiosk.

7. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I saw that free one. Real quick question: so who would I need to make this shopping cart website? Any web programmer? I guess the kiosk software would lock the user into the website so they can't leave or see that they are in IE. As in it would be a full screen site.

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Technically straight forwarded, but as a business model this sounds flaky as hell.

The first thing you MUST assume when dealing with the general public is that the majority of them would qualify as mentally retarded by anyones definition who would consider using such technology. You can bet you're ass that not only will this kiosk of yours be too confusing for most people to use, or too frightening for them to try to use, but will also be vandalized when someone pushes a button to make a choice and it doesn't respond immediately they are going to hit the screen and generally act like monkey's in clothes with it, like most people are anyway.

9. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

walmart is known for having retarded customers, and if they can have self-checkout kiosks then anyone can.

this would be no different. touch a burger, bring up all the options for the burger with a big "DONE" button to go back to "order mode." do the same for other foods/drinks, then a big "REVIEW ORDER" button to show them on the screen, then a big "PLACE ORDER" button to print a copy and send a copy to the kitchen.

11. CodeX

CodeX Guest

what? I am unaware of this... I know some grocery stores have these, but like 1 for every 20 normal checkouts and not many people use them. I've seen them empty when every other normal checkout has a line.

Well, that sounds nice, but did you ever work in fast food? You would think ordering off a menu would be easy enough, but let me tell you when I worked at wendys in high school their were plenty of people who couldn't figure that out.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

around here they're in walmart, home depot, lowes, and most major grocery stores.

I haven't spoken to a cashier in months/years, and I like it that way. the self-serve kiosks in all of those are usually booked, even to the point where there can be lines at the self-serve stations while there are human cashiers with no customers in their lines.

I've never worked in fast food, but I've seen some pretty retarded people at walmart figure out how to check themselves out.