Touareg2 V6 TDI..yea or nay

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by johan, Mar 12, 2009.

1. johan

johan Active Member

I'd like a diesel for my next vehicle and I see that I can get a Touareg with the new TDI engine....

Good idea or no?

I always thought these had a nice interior but poor mileage, so the new TDI option looks interesting to me.

Werent the early Touaregs also spotty in build quality?

2. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

what country do you live in that wisely allows you to buy these gems?
    In regards to build quality: THIS was fine. we had an 04 touareg and the interior was immculate. baby phaeton in this respect. and like all VWs, thoughtful, ergonomic and loaded, just loaded with storage.
    That said teh car was somewhat unreliable. didn't start once, dealer fixed for free. spark plugs had accumulated debris or someshit. and teh electricals, haha.
    TPM sensor went twice, I think. free replacement.
    Fuel door wouldn't open from switch; most cars have manual overrides. annoying, had to peel back a panel on a hinge from teh trunk to open it. went to get it fixed, for free ofcourse.
    Drove back....latch wouldn't open from the inside :fail:
    Now THIS one can be explained: the dealer we bought ours from was known to have a HORRID service department-not all VW service departments will break your car more than when it came in. I recommend you do it.

3. johan

johan Active Member

thanks.... the V6 TDI is a newly available option in Canada.

Interior is just awesome, really enjoyable.

I guess the minor irritants wrt quality still continue on, I dont know if my local dealer is esp good or bad about service.

I guess even if they're just average, I'll still have my share of little problems.

Although "car not starting" is more than just a 'little problem' since im planning on road tripping with this thing.

4. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I have a 06 with Vr6, It's a excellent SUV and the TDI gets about 25 on the highway. Go for it but I have to warn you the parts are expensive, it has 6piston Brembo breaks the pads are about 120 per axle and they sensors are about 30-60 and every wheels has one. Also it eats through tires and brakes because of it's weight. I have had no realy issues with mine and I have about 41K miles on it now. I would buy the TDI over the VR6 IMHO. With the ecomony the way it is, my car is lease and the buy out is not far deal so I'm giving mine back to the leasing company. But if I were to get another SUV it would be tough to not get another one.

Good luck.

5. johan

johan Active Member

hmmmm...thanks for the insight.... love the car but there are still some definite downsides...

6. art_VW_shark

:eek3: Maybe the one-off W12 Sport. Ours did not have six piston brembos haha

7. GreenBeans

GreenBeans Guest

tdi ftw, do it

8. art_VW_shark

i literally think its worth it. A ML320 won't be much more reliable, a X5 costs more, q7 is HUGE (but more luxurious), FX35 is a joke, MKX as well, RX350 is lame...

9. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Mine does 06 Vr6

10. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

A Jeep Grand Cherokee is a better vehicle than this and a used 2008 diesel will have more power. Get the Jeep and have a real SUV. I wouldn't buy VW SUV as much as most wouldn't buy a kia in the first place.

11. art_VW_shark

:rolleyes:
    You do know the V8X models (and V10 TDIs) with pneumatic suspension and hill assist put LR3s to shame and nearly hang with Range Rovers, right? the touareg was 4x4's TOTY in 04

12. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

My friend has an '08 Touareg2 V10 TDI

I would take the Touareg over any Range Rover/Land Rover, Escalade, Jeep, Navigator, ETC. ETC.

The V10 Twin Turbo is absolutely fucking amazing. Gorgeous interiors as well and full load they are loaded with technology.

If money wasn't a factor...I would own one right now without the slightest doubt.

However, if you don't mind waiting...apparently the V12 Twin Turbo TDI Audi Q7 is supposed to come to North America in the next year or so IIRC.

13. art_VW_shark

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU