Total mac newb, looking to purchase, editing mpeg-2 videos?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by oakback, Feb 19, 2009.

1. oakback

oakback New Member

So the wife and I are sick of the steady string of failing PCs (laptops) we've had over the years, she's dead set on buying a mac, and I'm ok with that.

Question, though. For Christmas we got a new digi camcorder that utilizes flash memory, and records the vids in MPEG-2 (.mod) format. I want to do some minor video editing (no prior experience with this).

will the bottom-level mac laptop have the capability to do what I want, with regards to the video stuff?

2. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Which camcorder do you have? More than likely, it will work with iMovie '09. If you want to do minor editing, iMovie will be fine. If you want to get into more advanced stuff, then you could move on to Final Cut Express or something to not break the bank

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Type of camcorder will definitely be needed because I haven't found many Panasonic based programs to work on the mac. My cousin's HD one won't show up on either of computers.

4. oakback

oakback New Member

Canon FS100, I believe. The software that came with it is completely useless, very pathetic.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

if anything, take some random test shots, couple 10 second clips, take the camera to the apple store and talk to some of their sales people to see if it'll work.

iMovie is on all the computers, and i think Final Cut (pro/express) might be on some of the higher end systems.

6. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Indeed. Bring your camcorder into an Apple Store (if it's not too far) then check it out. They all have iMovie on them, and the iMacs, Mac Pros, and MacBook Pros have Final cut on them.

7. oakback

oakback New Member

No apple store here.