torrents are painfully slow

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pew pew pew, Jun 11, 2009.

1. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

i can't figure out why my torrents are so slow. i have a dell 2300 router on time-warner. i tried using portforward.com's instructions to open the ports and then use the same ones for vuze and transmission but when i click the 'enable' box and submit to add it to the list, the router's webpage never adds the information i entered... wtf is going on?

2. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Yeah, honestly torrents ran horribly slow for me up until I bought a Linksys Router and flashed it with DD-WRT. Now I can download an average of 3-6GB per night.

It also depends on the "seed" strength.

NOTE: I did not tell him how to do anything illegal, I just suggested a better router for improved internet performance boost!

3. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

well for all the legal downloading i do, sometimes i would randomly experience like 500kb/s which was awesome compared to the 1-10k im getting right now. i dont know why... all of them are seeded extremely well (new torrents with 500-1000 seeds). always using this same setup

4. OniMinion

Yeah, it's honestly probably due to the network you're running. I assume your actual internet speed is nice and quick...

5. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

[​IMG]

thats with nothing running, airport off and physically connected to the router with ethernet cable

[​IMG]

wired to the modem itself

[​IMG]

wirelessly

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  6. OniMinion

I definitely wouldn't do torrents over a wireless network. Hell, I woudn't even game over a wireless network. It puts the ping way too high!

I was also noticing how low your uploads are! A lot of torrent users set their systems to deny people who don't upload at an appropriate ratio to their download. You typically want this to be NO LESS than a 50/50 split.

7. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

exactly my problem. i dont mind leaving a torrent to download overnight but it wont seed or seeds so slow i can't keep the ratio up because of my slow upload

8. OniMinion

You can, you'll have to pay your ISP a little more to do it, but they can give you more than that for sure.

NOTE: I upload with my DSL at 120/sec

9. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

:hs:

10. avctechsupp

avctechsupp New Member

Ok, hang on... One issue at a time. The limits from your ISP are what they are. Get your LAN setup working before you decide to pay more for a faster upload speed.

1) Connect your computer directly to the modem provided by your ISP (you might need to reset the modem). What speeds to you get? (upload and download). Make sure you're using a good torrent (private trackers are always best! - if you only use public trackers, diversify---for testing purposes. i.e. test with different torrents from different trackers... preferably, those with >4x more seeders than leechers).

1a) If the above setup improves your speeds, the problem is probably with your router setup. If not, the problem is probably with either your ISP or your computer. Troubleshooting the ISP issue can be difficult. Deal with your computer first... Firewall? Peerguardian? Bittorrent client settings?

What OS are you using?
    What bittorrent client & version are you using?
    What trackers are you using?

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

ditch vuse,.. use utorrent

and,...

is that the budget/economy service?
    how much are you paying for that?

i have this on $42.95/mo with comcast
    [​IMG]