MMA Torn meniscus help

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Socrates, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I just got results back today from the MRI. There is a tear in my meniscus.

If surgery is necessary, how long will it take until I'm able to train again? I realize that results may very, but what is the average time?

2. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

Why didn't you ask your doctor?

3. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

Depends on you. I have a friend that had knee surgery like 4 years ago, never went to rehab and he still can't do shit.

4. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Its not bad at all man. I had a bucket handle tear of my meniscus and was back training 2 months after surgery.

5. coals

coals New Member

Depends on where the tear is on the meniscus. If its towards the outside, where there is blood flow, it can heal itself but if it is towards the inside, where blood cannot get to it as easily, it might require surgery to either stitch it up or remove the torn piece.

I also recently suffered from a buckle handle tear.

6. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I as under the impression they cant actually stitch it, they just shave it to smooth it back out and clean it up.

I got a small tear in mine a few months back, said it wouldnt require surgery, it still clicks like crazy, Dr said it will smooth back out over time. Physically i think ine was 100% after 2 months tops. However mentally i still have hard time pivoting on cause of the loud popping sound it makes.

7. coals

coals New Member

I think my doc said they would stitch it... not sure I can ask my physical therapist tomorrow.

The pro to getting the torn piece removed is that the recovery time is quicker and less restricting but I was told that the knee maybe more prone to arthritis as you get older. Mine was so damaged that they just removed alot of it. :(

8. roose

roose Guest

They normally amputate the leg for meniscus tears in the Canadian Health System.

9. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

My brother tore his playing hockey. Had surgery and was off a couple months with rehab if I remember correctly.

10. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

:rofl::rofl::rofl::bowdown:

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah its good but its kinda scary

12. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

Upload the MRI cd to a zip file if you can, use sendspace.com and I'll tell you what you should expect.

If they have to remove a large chunk of it, you'll lose the shock absorption in that area and possibly have stability issues. Its possible they can suture a large flap back into place. Typically they'll chop out the flap and cauterize the remaining surface to give you some cushion and stability.

You're on crutches for a day, maybe 2. That first week you'll want to take it easy, but its on to physical therapy and rehabilitation for the next 6-8 weeks to strengthen and let your knee heal. Unless you're trying to feed a family, you should take the time and rehab properly.

You'll probably be able to train around week 3 or 4, depending on how well you were functioning before the tear.

13. Socrates

Socrates New Member

They didn't mention a CD or anything to me :(.

I'm getting the surgery on Tuesday morning. They didn't give me a lot of details other than where the tear is. It's towards the left side of my left knee, but it's in a spot where there isn't much blood circulation. I don't know if any of those facts are significant. He didn't mention how bad the tear was or anything.

Right now, I feel about 90% back to normal. I didn't train at all this past week. If I avoided the surgery, I could go back to training tomorrow and probably be fine for a few months, but at some point I would injure it again as I have done before.

Also, he said I stretched some ligaments on the inside of my left knee.

I can't afford to take off more than this next week of work. I'm a welder, but I will be able to drive a forktruck for as long as I need to heal.

My next fight is in the second week of January, so it sounds like I will have plenty of time to recover and train for it.

Thanks for the help guys!

14. Titus

Titus New Member

way to ask questions and be informed about your injury/surgery..

15. Socrates

Socrates New Member

So does it make you feel good to troll?

16. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I had the surgery this morning.

I'm not sure if it's because I still have the tight bandages on or what, but I feel fine now. There isn't any pain at the moment.

My pro debut is coming up so now I feel confident that I'll have time to properly prepare for it!!!