Torn between a projection TV and a projector

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scott6760, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Scott6760

Scott6760 Guest

I am planning to upgrade to a large screen TV, preferably with HDTV. I can spare the room for a rear projection TV, but I am trying to get the best picture for the price. I'm not concerned with sound quality as I have a Bose home theatre. I would like to stay under $1000 if at all possible. I am looking for around a 50" picture. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not gonna find a good projector for that.... gotta stick rear-projection. HDTV may be difficult for that price.

3. 04

04 Guest

You can get the infocus x1 for less than 1000 dollars. IMO it is certainly a good projector for the price. However, it isnt high definition (but it is higher resolution than EDTV resolutions)

4. Scott6760

Scott6760 Guest

I've been looking at the X1. It mentions HDTV, does that mean it's just HD-ready? Or it will display a HD signal just not quite at the HD resolution? What is EDTV? Extended Definition?

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I don't think that projector even has anything higher than S-Video...and since when can you display a HD signal with S-video?

6. 04

04 Guest

Uh, the x1 has both RGBHV AND component video inputs.

Its native resolution is 800 x 600, so it's not quite HD, but its better than EDTV resolutions.

7. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, its just HD ready. Id imagine you could feed it a 720p or 1080i source, and it would scale it to its native resolution. yeah, EDTV is extended definition, and its 480p, which means its like standard tv broadcasts in terms of resolution, but has a progressive scan instead of interlaced.

8. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

my x1 accepts 1080i signals and scales it down.. still looks very damn nice.

your biggest thing to linger on is do you need a well lit room and daytime function? because with a projector day or night you can't have a lot of lights on if at all .. and during the day you have to be in a cave.

9. Scott6760

Scott6760 Guest

I almost bought the X1 last night, but the auction went rediculously high. I saw a demo of a Sony at Best Buy and a Yamaha at Tweeter, and neither one had specs that matched the X1, but they both looked pretty damn good. The more I look at my room though, I just dont think I have the space for a projector.:rolleyes: Maybe I'll get one when I move.