Torch Red Z06 done right!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Labster, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

This was a referral from another detailer (dirtdiggler on autopia). The owner takes meticulous care of the car and it's easy to see. Unfortunately as is all too common, I suspect improper wash techniques as contributing to the swirls in the paint. He's anxious to learn proper care techniques so I've hooked him up with some how-tos and suggested good products to use. Besides the swirls a few rock chips were the only flaws in the car. Look closely at the engine bay pictures, you'll see why this is such a mean Z06!

Below are some befores of the exterior, as you see, swirls and holograms.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Optimum Power Clean on the tires and wheel wells. P21s gel on the wheels themselves and EZ detail and EZ detail mini brush along with a boars hair wheel brush and swissvax brush took care of these.
    [​IMG]

The owner only wanted a quick interior but the leather looked slightly dry so I decided to give my Leatherique kit a go. Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil being absorbed into the the thirsty seats below
    [​IMG]

The entire body was foamed with a mix of Meguiars APC and Chemical Guys Citrus wash and allowed to dwell for 5-6 minutes before being rinsed off. The entire car was then washed via Todd Cooperider's 2x4 wash technique with CGCW.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The interior need a vacuum and wipe down, not much more
    [​IMG]

Ready for surgery...
    [​IMG]

Some afters. Unfortunately the sun had disappeared :( I was able to achieve ~85% - 90% correction in 9 hrs which I along with client was thrilled about. The lsp of choice was Wolfgang Fusion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All polished up with Optimum Metal Polish
    [​IMG]

The Rejuvenator Oil had 6 hard fought hours with the rock hard clear to work its magic on the car and my pocket thermometer said it reached 85 degrees inside which was great! Heat helps the Oil do its magic better IMO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The engine all wiped down and lookin sexy! Can you spy the surprise I talked about at the beginning?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Nice work! I have to say though, you shouldn't expect that leather to last even after Leatherique. C5s have some of the WORST leather I've ever come across in any car; shit gets bad in a hurry if you don't keep up with it at least weekly.

3. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Im in the process of putting together a full kit for the owner and he's anxious to keep it looking great. It felt like wet cowhide instead of like a refined stitched piece. That is what car and driver has been preaching about, great engine, chasis but the interiors leave a lot to be desired even in the ZR1 which is over the $100,00 threshold.

4. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

damn, 1 comment in 2 days. Every usually rides a Corvette dick around here if they get posted. lol. Did I offend someone?

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Looks really good, can't go wrong with Fuzion on red. What did you polish the paint with?

6. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I knew I forgot something. The trunk area gave me major issues so I had to use PFW, 105 and my Flex Rotary which created some holograms. Most of the car with the exception of some areas however corrected really well with my PC and LC orange flat pad and 105 via the KBM. Then I went over the entire car with Megs 205 on a white polishing pad.

7. Scottwax

KBM seems to work well with Corvettes but I can't get it to work with Audis. Always have to go rotary.

8. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

My rotary with a orange light cut pad started to hologram like crazy on the hood so I had to switch over to the KBM. I dunno why. It worked like magic on the rest of the car though.

9. Scottwax

C5 hoods suck pretty hard when using a rotary. Softer pad, higher rpms works better.

10. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I've been away for a few days. That vette looks great!!! It's obvious that you put a lot of effort into it. What was the customer's reaction?

11. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Loved it! Had me make him a list to keep it lookin sweet and referred me to his dad and friends.

12. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

:bowdown::bowdown: Awesome!! That's what it's about!

13. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

What shot is he using? ;)

I <3 me some Z06's.

14. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

You did great work and to follow it up with a list was very considerate. Getting those word of mouth referrals really are the best compliment a customer can give. Did you have your new shirts in time for this job?

I'm doing a red Supra today, will post a write up and we will see if it gets more hits. Not a reflection of or comparing quality of work, just an experiment in make/model recognition. :dunno:

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

The OT import whores will be all over a Supra like swirls at a gas station car wash :mamoru:

16. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Is it really like that on here with Supras? :mamoru:

Fucking thing is taking FOR-EV-ER, been at it since about 9, won't be done until 4 ish.

17. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

150. He said he has it bored and stroked as well so I'm not sure what the total HP at the wheels will be.

18. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Yeah, I had the new shirts before the job. Had to break em in on a nice car. lol cuz God knows they'll see their share of the soccer mom vans and suvs. Can't wait for those 95 degree days spent cleaning cheerios outta all the cracks and crevices. lol

19. Ash. Housewares.

Ash. Housewares. Shop Smart

Looks good man. My C5's leather needs help like that one. I'll have to look into the oil you used.