GUN Topeka, KS PD switches to Glock FTW

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by krott5333, Apr 1, 2006.

1. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

After more than 15 years, the Topeka Police Department is hanging up its 9-millimeter Smith and Wesson hand guns and taking aim with the Glock 40-caliber semi-automatic.
    "It's a much simpler weapon to handle, simple to take apart, clean,” said Maj. Randy Mills, Topeka Police. “And from the test group we had, the officers all shot the weapon really well."
    Mills said while the 9-millimeter is reliable, it is a complicated gun.
    Law enforcement officials said the safety switch on the Smith and Wesson sometimes flips on by accident, leaving officers with less time to react in a life threatening situation.
    “We're always on the reactive side. We have to react to anything that's going on. We do not have time to think about what we're going to do, so we have to be able to program ourselves to react properly,” said Sgt. David Thomas, Topeka Police.
    But a change in weapons means officers need reprogramming, which is why the Topeka Police Department will spend the next three months drilling officers and making sure if the time comes, they are right on target.
    "We’re going to get in repetitions, high repetitions of simple skills, because we have to have those because of our reactive nature,” Thomas said.
    But the weapons change is not a shot in the dark. Mills said the department talked to other police departments around the state and the nation to find out what gun is being used.
    He said the Glock has a strong hold with law enforcement and for a good reason.
    "All the major agencies in Kansas are carrying the Glocks and the L.A.P.D. has them and has carried them for a long time,” Mills said.
    The price tag to switch weapons will run the police department about $70,000 but Mills said in the long run, the Glocks are more cost efficient. They cost about $200 less than the 9-millimeter.

:coold:

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

So wait. The dept already has 9mm weapons purchased, they want to spend 70k for guns that fire more expensive ammo, yet it will be more cost efficient?

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

yes, because innocent human life is priceless, and the Glock can nevar lose.

4. CString

CString New Member

I was downtown today and there was a bunch of security around the convention center and the dome for the final four. One of the guys doing security was at the crosswalk and I noticed he was carrying. I said "so they issue you guys 40 cal. hand grenades for security?". He said "what are you talkin about?". I pointed at his G22 and he laughed. "I usually carry a .40 XD when I'm off duty". :bowdown:

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:greddy2:

6. CString

CString New Member

nga plz, nga plz

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Glock usually seems to do tremendously low bids for leos.

Really all this story tells me is
    1.) they put in the best bid
    2.) they were the most suitable gun for those not skilled with guns

8. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I really can't tell if Krott just hangs on glocks nuts to try to be cool on the internet forum or is actually fucking obsessed with glock.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

most of you fags have already made it perfectly clear that you think I'm a homofag for being such a glocksackrider...

so obviously, the latter :mamoru2:

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

LBC man. That's how it works.

11. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

12. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

This leads me to thinking.... :bsflag: :mamoru:

13. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

I couldn't resist. :naughty:

14. Fishbone Walker

Fishbone Walker Fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas wi

glocks are excellent for law enforcement.

15. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

do glocks have double stike capability? how about xds? I remember there was a debate on sigforum about how one thing that makes sig better is double strike capability. How's the glock and xd work?

16. Furner

Furner New Member

the firing pin is charged by the slide, so you would have to rack the slide again if you got a light strike, and in the process ejecting the live round.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The glock doesn't and I don't believe the XD does either. Which makes sense. Those guns never have the striker completely at rest so without the gun being designed to fall back to a real double action shot theres nothing to prepare the firing mechanism for a 2nd strike. With sig's DAK trigger if the assisted pull fails it will fall back to a harder double action pull

To me this is of questionable importance though. The only time I've found a 2nd strike to set off a round has been when I'm fiddling with a gun that has issues with light primer strikes. Thats not the type of thing likely to develop suddenly. If the round is a dud though I think its bad to train to keep dropping the hammer on it time and time again. To me the logical conclusion is to train to eject a round that didn't go off and not waste any more time with it. I think the 2nd strike is a decent bonus to have incase your training to eject fails to take over and if the round had a light strike, but I think the odds of that saving your bacon are quite slim.

18. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

the extra half second for the second pull might fuck you over too if it is a race to get a shot off.