MMA Top Ten Toughest Chins in MMA

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://tapoutpage.proelite.com/stuff...t_Chins_in_MMA

10. Takanori Gomi (Never been KO’d or TKO’d, fights better the more he is hit)

“The Fireball Kid” kicks off this list as a powerful knockout artist in his own right, more likely testing the chin of his opponents rather than receiving punishment. The last Pride lightweight champion has never been knocked out, but does leave himself open for submissions after taking a pounding. Against BJ Penn and Nick Diaz, he weathered his opponents’ striking attacks, but allowed submissions to sneak in after the damage was done. He is also known to strike with more ferocity when he has eaten some punches. After being on the losing end of a striking war with Luiz Azeredo, it took only two punches from the Japanese slugger to put the Chute Boxe veteran away.

9. Jeremy Horn (Amazing recovery, taken over 1,000 hits to the head)

The seasoned MMA veteran has over 100 documented, and I emphasize documented, fights under his belt being on the receiving end of only two TKO’s by the fists of Matt Lindland and Chuck Liddell. As if going the distance with Gilbert Yvel, Falaniko Vitale and Anderson Silva was not enough, he choked out Chuck Liddell in their first meeting. He went toe to toe with “The Iceman” for four rounds in their rematch before taking so many head shots the fight had to be called because he could no longer see. Even though he has taken more shots to the head than probably any other fighter in history, he has never been knocked unconscious.

8. Wesley “Cabbage” Correira (Amazing recovery, taken over 1,000 hits to the head)

While he has been stopped six times from strikes, the Hilo, Hawaii native always lasts longer than he should have in his losses, thanks to his granite chin. Few have faced as many power punchers as Cabbage including Tim Sylvia, David “Tank” Abbott, Andrei Arlovski, Eric “Butterbean” Esch and Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva. Even while taking the biggest shots from some of the biggest guys in MMA, it is usually his corner or the ref who gives up on him before his consciousness does.

7. Nick Diaz (Fights better the more he is hit, cuts easy)

MMA resident Bad Boy, the Cesar Gracie black belt has a knack for slugging it out with recognized strikers. He knocked out Robbie Lawler, went the distance with Joe Riggs and finished Takanori Gomi. He grows more dangerous the more bloody and beaten up he becomes, a style that fits nicely with his me-against-the-world mentality. He slugged it out with Gomi for two rounds before finishing the Pride champ and went punch for punch with pro boxer KJ Noons, eventually losing due to a cut over his eye. Even when his face takes a beating, he stays alert and keeps on fighting.

6. BJ Penn

Hawaii’s favorite fighter, Penn is one of the most well-rounded combatants in the game with a solid chin rounding out his skills. Never afraid of a challenge, “The Prodigy” routinely goes up in weight against bigger guys and stronger punchers. Nearly impossible to finish, only Matt Hughes holds a stoppage victory over the UFC lightweight champion when Penn’s lungs gave out in the third round of their second fight. He has faced dangerous punchers like Takanori Gomi, Duane Ludwig and Jens Pulver (twice) without being fazed once in those fights. Few can make that claim.

5. Dan Henderson (Never been ko’d or tko’d)

Simply put, Henderson fought Wanderlei Silva (twice), Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Anderson Silva without getting knocked out! Silva recently submitted him and “Rampage” out-pointed him, but no one questions the grit of this scrappy Olympic wrestler. Almost completely abandoning his wrestling roots, Henderson has turned into a slugging machine willing to stand toe to toe with seasoned, veteran strikers, a strategy that could not work for anyone with less of a chin.

4. Fedor Emelianenko (cuts easily)

The reigning king of MMA has squared off against some of the world’s best kickboxers like Semmy Schilt, Mark Hunt and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic. If there was a list of the top heavyweight strikers in the game, Fedor would have fought almost all of them. And no one has been able to defeat the heavyweight champ or even come close. Ironically, Japanese wrestler Kazuyuki Fujita came the closest to finishing him. His only “loss” came by way of a cut inflicted by Tsuyoshi Kohsaka by a “controversial” strike that Fedor still claims was illegal.

3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Never been ko’d or tko’d, amazing recovery, fights better the more he is hit)

While not at the top of the list, Nogueira puts the structural integrity of his chin on display more than any other fighter. Consistently taking a beating in the early rounds of fights only to finish his opponent by submission later on, the UFC heavyweight champion has taken the best shots by some of the hardest hitters in the sport. He shrugged off head kicks by “Cro Cop”, ate ground and pound bombs by Fedor and took a kick by Heath Herring that should have knocked his head into the tenth row.

2. Mark Hunt (Never been ko’d or tko’d)

K-1 and Pride veteran Mark Hunt has never been knocked out, knocked down or even fazed for that matter in MMA competition. The New Zealand native made a name for himself in the K-1 kickboxing circuit, then won over MMA fans with his head of granite. He took the best shots from Wanderlei Silva, Mirko “Cro Cop” and pro boxer Yosuke Nishijima. Who can forget the epic bout when Hunt ate one of “Cro Cop’s” lethal head kicks right to the temple, then shrugged it off like it was nothing?

1. Kazuyuki Fujita (Amazing recovery)

Mr. Iron Jaw himself! His skull is so thick that no strike can faze him, literally. X-rays prove his skull has a density and thickness greater than the average human head, a human-punching bag that punches back. After Ken Shamrock gave Fujita his best shots before quitting, the Japanese fighter fought his way through an army of heavy-handed strikers before succumbing to Wanderlei Silva, who delivered a plethora of punches, knees, kicks and soccer kicks to his massive cranium prompting the ref to call the fight. Fujita immediately stood up and walked to his corner like nothing had happened.

awaiting bad chinese surname jokes

2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

a lil' late night info post?

3. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

huh, that's a good read.

4. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

penn did not gas

5. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Good list

6. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Didnt Penn get dropped in his first fight against Pulver?

7. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

his ribs were seperated

8. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Fujita over Hunt? Get the fuck out of here.

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Wandy virtually KO'd iron head, Cro Cop unloaded on Hunt and got nowhere. Granted CC wasnt exactly testing his chin per say, but Hunt > Fujita.

thsi list was actually not that good :(

10. ilduce

ilduce New Member

I think they had some good names just a little out of order.

11. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

i dont know if i buy that rib story from the hughes fight.. i love bj penn but the way they carried him out.. dunno if someone with damged ribs could have been carried that way.. and i dont think bj penn himself ever said he hurt his ribs..

12. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Im pretty sure he did say he broke his rib or had it separated.

13. Kenny Dalglish

if he did i dont believe him.. the way they carried him out if he broke his rib would not have been possible.. unless he feels no pain and in that case more <3 for bj penn

14. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

he posted the emergency room and doctor reports on his website iirc

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

he didnt say it was broken.

16. Kenny Dalglish

any rib damage = breathing impossible.. lifting arm impossible

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Thats not true. I had the same injury as penn one time and thats how my GF and best friend carried me to the car to take me to the hospital.

18. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

... hence why he couldn't breath and lift his arms comming into the 3rd round with hughes :hsugh: Did you see their fight? Penn was owning hughes for 2 rounds and damaged his ribs taking hughes back in the 2nd round. When he came out in the third he couldn't breath or hold his hands up

19. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Oh.

And Hunt > Fugita

20. Kenny Dalglish

wasn't he carried out by his corner with his arms supporting him? if it's as serious as they claim i dont think he would've been able to be carried out that way

21. Kenny Dalglish

how bad was it? i never had a rib injury im only going on hearsay..

22. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Complete muscle separation on my right rib cage.

Bed rest for 5 days then 2 months of no real hard physical activeity.

Fucking sucked.

And I honestly don't know how I did it :dunno:

Got done doing PT with the ROTC group, was feeling achy in the shower then about an hour later I couldn't breathe and had to go the ER. There would have been no way I could have fought.

I can't describe the pain of breathing.

23. ilduce

ilduce New Member

I rolled with a cracked/bruised rib once and it was terribly painful. You cant really breath and that was just with it cracked/bruised, a muscle separation would be much worse.

24. Kenny Dalglish

that sucks.. the way i recall bj being carried out it looked like it was stretching his rib cage.. i thought they said it was a broken/damaged rib.. which i was told by people who have had that type of injury say that would be impossible.. so what do u do for muscle seperation? just suck it up or take painkillers??

25. Optamix

Optamix New Member

and muscle relaxers.

I stayed doped up for awhile.

I mean, i wasn't comfortable being carried like that, but it wasn't as painful as breathing.

Plus he still had a ton of adrenaline pumping.